Goodbye and Hello

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Thanks @Starting on a journey , we did have a routine of sorts during lockdown but hubby now back at work and it’s trying to get back in to one , she goes to bed at all different times , sometimes 8pm other times 11pm . Like the McDonald’s visit ! Mum would hate fast food , well she always did before . We haven’t left house yet as have been trying to shield as help care for in laws and he is high risk . Yes it’s def a reassurance thing , just draining sometimes when you just want 5 minutes peace . I do try and understand how she feels though .

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Mum was always a big routine person about bringing us up and over the years told anyone and everyone how important routine is to kids, whether they were interested or not ?I try have one with mum but then she will suddenly decide to do something different or say the routine is different to what it is.
It probably take a while to get back in one @Woo2 as things changing again at home with hubby back at work and then your girls going back to college when that starts and mums dementia will have changed over time too. Things are always changing aren’t they? I hope you manage get mum settled again so you and hubby can have a bit of time to yourself soon. ?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
They are changing constantly, so hard to keep things the same so just try to go with the flow , she is very huffy & puffy as she put a dirty top on and advised her to get a clean one , sitting staring in to space now and although she can hear me is not replying :rolleyes: she has struggled with the heat the last few days ,her hair has got long so I have been putting it up in a clip , badly needs trimming the same as most peoples , I’m not brave enough to have a go myself .

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Belated Birthday wishes to You. I thought it was a special one (21 again :))
I am glad you had a good day even if your Mum was not aware . It was thoughtful to open your presents when your Mum was in the bathroom.
I bet the quiz made a nice change. It is good to see other faces even if it is only via a video call.
apart from all the changes in routine I wonder how much the longer
days are affecting your Mum. I know I am waking up about 4.30am due to birds ‘tweeting’ outside my window but fortunately I go back to sleep most times.
How are you going to cope without your full time ‘gardener’? Or will he still be hiding down there in the evenings.
I hope today improves.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Thank you @Bikerbeth :) Nope I have a couple of years until a big one . That is a good point about longer days, she does have light curtains in her room , I did consider getting blackout ones but then she was sleeping a lot so I didn’t , maybe I will do that .

Quiz wasn’t video , just conference call, really enjoyed it though and mum joined in halfway through and shouted out the odd answer :rolleyes: so did some of the other PWD so it wasn’t a problem . Looking forward to next one but like I said I will need to buff up on general knowledge .

Haha as soon as he comes home he is out there until dinner and then until midnight ish , he has to be busy and likes the peace n quiet as he lives with 4 females he is severely outnumbered . Have just picked some beetroot , radish, lettuce and spring onion for a salad later , tomatoes are taking their time , they are still green . Greenfly have attacked my Lupins today:mad: but Hosta’s touchwood are fine and starting to flower .

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Glad to hear the garden is now returning some produce even if the strawberries are letting you down a little. If you end of with excess beetroot you can make beetroot brownies. I made some last year and the beetroot means the brownies stay really moist. You just need to make sure it is really well mixed in. Also half the calories. :)
how was your Mum for the rest of the day? Did she settle?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Ooh now they sound lovely, I shall look for a recipe :) . I steamed them instead of boiling and they were lovely ,I also stir fried the stalks and leaves , tastes just like spinach , everyone ate them so I am pretty chuffed , who knew beetroot leaves where so nice . have had quite a few potatoes and radish already , beans are well on the way , putting second and third crops in this weekend . I have 6 strawberries in the fridge so hoping they hang on for a few more . How’s things with you ?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Try the BBC recipe. I didn’t know that you could eat the stalks and leaves. Maybe I will try planting some next year. Strawberries have gone crazy the last few days but raspberries are plodding along. Our first lot of potatoes were lovely too. Another confused call with Mum this evening - not sure if it is Mum’s change in meds or a UTI which they were testing for today. Otherwise all is good

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I’m sorry your mum was confused ? There isn’t always a reason when Mum is like that, hope she hasn’t got a UTI? sometimes it takes a bit of juggling getting the medication right can’t it .... fil passed out frequently (Heart failure) and it did take some months to get the tablet and dosage right , he has started to get symptoms again recently after his stroke so another change needed. ?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
We very much doubt there is much they can do , he has gone from a portly father xmas looking man to frail and still losing weight since his stroke 4 months ago, I am pretty sure, as is his wife that he has Vas Dem , he can barely function day to day , mil suffers from her nerves , so we have 4 neurologically challenged adults in our care , my cousin frequently asks how we are still relatively sane ... I don’t know myself sometimes but there are people far worse off and have it harder than us . It’s just life isn’t it .

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
You really are a star @Woo2 ??⭐ So many people to think about, worry about and care for, I don't know how you do it and your attitude amazes me. Wish I could be more like you x ???

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
What a frazzled , sometime grumpy , menopausal woman ? @annielou I am a fully paid up member of your fan club , you are amazing juggling two homes and trying to keep everyone happy and dealing with your mum all day everyday by yourself virtually . I do enjoy looking after people but I’m not a natural carer . I was better when I was working full time and juggling everything now I have too much time and get bored sitting around so have started to get in to gardening.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
That description fits me to a tee lol ? frazzled, sometime grumpy, menopausal woman, we are alike he he ?
No, really I think you are extremely patient, calm, considerate and kind and unbelievably caring and selfless. And like I say you have an amazing attitude to caring too and you won't change my mind so take the compliment x

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Well thank you , It is very kind of you :) ? I don’t see myself like that , I only notice my bad points , we are very critical of ourselves I think .
Did I tell you Mum said the other day “I am going through my change and it won’t be fun “:eek:? she had a hysterectomy about 35 years ago at a young age and has been on hrt. She has long since come through the other side ! I did have to try hard to not laugh .
It’s not too long until you join the 48 club is it ?
Hope today goes ok for you ?X

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Oh bless her :)x Sometimes you can't help but smile and try hard not to laugh can you. Funnily enough mum sometimes mentions having hot flushes now and then, though she does remember she went through the change in her late 30's. Nope not long till I'm in the 48 club too :( I look and feel 98 most of the time but don't feel grown up proper yet :oops:

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I think you are both amazing and caring for your Mum’s in a way I could not have done. You may both be frazzled, sometimes grumpy menopausal women but you are both so patient, kind and loving to.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi @Bikerbeth :), how are you doing ? We are ok thanks , I have been busy gardening and have crashed out by 10pm so not been on here . How is your garden ? We have harvested all of our beetroot , and some beans and carrots, have lots of cucumbers and tomatoes but still a way off yet .

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Hi @Bikerbeth :), how are you doing ? We are ok thanks , I have been busy gardening and have crashed out by 10pm so not been on here . How is your garden ? We have harvested all of our beetroot , and some beans and carrots, have lots of cucumbers and tomatoes but still a way off yet .
Glad you are all ok and busy in the garden. Sometimes it is also good to have a break from here. It is nice to start reaping the rewards from the garden. Our carrots won’t be ready until August. We now have loads of strawberries, about a kilo of gooseberries and raspberries, just starting to pick blueberries. Digging up the early spuds as we need them. Apple tree failed :(
I am looking at different Care Homes and trying to look at different ones to previous and getting more confused.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti