Good places to visit (and avoid!) in East Riding of Yorkshire with dementia

DementiaAction

Mar 19, 2015
Hello,

My Dad has mixed dementia and lives in East Riding of Yorkshire. Please can people suggest good dementia friendly places to take him. He enjoys travelling in the car, so various locations in the region are not a problem. Also interested in places to avoid as had some bad experiences. Also do people find banks / post office not good at understanding dementia? My Dad can't do his signature anymore and although have power of attorney many people don't understand especially over the phone.

Any response will be much appreciated, thanks.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I find garden centres are good places to go. They often have large cafes with plenty of space and disabled access loos.

To be honest our outings are pretty much based where I know there will be a good disabled access loo. If you don't have one already get a radar key in case some of these loos are locked. The keys fit radar locks on loos all over the UK. You can get one on Amazon.

If you're a member of the National Trust these properties can be good too but you need to check access before you go. If you're not a member I think they let a carer in for free if someone has a disability.

If we intend to go to a specific restaurant I tend to phone ahead and book. I explain that my husband has dementia and I ask for a quiet table if it is at all possible. I have found that works really well and people are very understanding.

I've had difficult times trying to explain things to people on the phone - especially if an overseas call centre is involved. Where possible I write to companies and include a copy of our financial power of attorney. Our own band has been very helpful and again I lodged a copy of the POA with them some time ago.

Feb 21, 2015
Hello,

My Dad has mixed dementia and lives in East Riding of Yorkshire. Please can people suggest good dementia friendly places to take him. He enjoys travelling in the car, so various locations in the region are not a problem. Also interested in places to avoid as had some bad experiences. Also do people find banks / post office not good at understanding dementia? My Dad can't do his signature anymore and although have power of attorney many people don't understand especially over the phone.

Any response will be much appreciated, thanks.

Hi,
Burton Agnes hall, has lovely gardens in the spring and summer, and cafe gallery and shops. Toilets aren't the very best but don't know about the gents! Hall has lovely downstairs, but need to use staircase for upper floors. However lovely day out in the gardens anyway. Plenty to do and see.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Like Izzy we used garden centres and in the 7 years I cared for my husband at home we must have visited every one within a 50 mile radius of home many, many times. We saw the seasons coming and going on the shelves, ate pounds of cake and drank gallons of tea and coffee.

The bigger ones were very diverse in what they sold we managed to buy household things, clothing and grocery shop. I remember those days with fondness.

We visited stately homes but just walked the grounds once the houses became confusing for my husband.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
OH isn't into garden centres but he loves castles, stately homes and museums. Don't give him too much text to read but modern art or hands on science museums are ideal for him. He also likes to walk around in big natural gardens.

Aitchbee

Nov 3, 2013
Hi. I live in the East Riding and used to take Mum out every day. Her dementia is too advanced now so she doesn't get out. Like others on here have suggested, I found garden centres v good as they usually have a cafe, toilets and parking. We also went to local stately homes and gardens. The Treasure House in Beverley has a cafe and houses the library, art gallery and museum (supposed to be Dementia friendly). The Street Life Museum in Hull has displays that will date back to your Dad's childhood. When the weather was good we used to drive to Hornsea or Brid and get chips or an ice cream. Mum also liked to sit in the car at Beverley Westwood and people watch (and have an ice cream!). On the whole we didn't have any bad experiences and found staff in some of the local cafes v kind (can pm details if you wish).

DementiaAction

Mar 19, 2015
Hello,

Thank you all for your quick responses. Garden centres sound like a good idea and will be lots of different ones for variety :)

onlyme1

Sep 10, 2011
scarborough
Singing for the brain

perhaps your area has a singing for the brain group? my parents & I go each week to the Scarborough one, it is wonderful, completely non- judgemental and fun too.

Ktynan

May 22, 2014
Hello,

Mum lives in beverley and we have found the cafe perk u later in town (near tesco) to be very good. We explained to staff her condition and they have been wonderful and understanding every since.

Best,
Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
Garden centres

The Spring garden centre at Sigglesthorne NR. Hornsea is good and has lots to look at and a small cafe as well you could then go the Mere.:)

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi, I live in the lovely ERY and I have to say that when taking Mum out last summer, with her mid/late stage Alz I never have had a problem locally. Particularly good is Sewerby Hall and Gardens, lovely cafe, flattish access and the hall even has a lift now! sea views great of course. also the Floral Hall cafe in Hornsea, this is good for those with disabilities as well as nearly level access, free car parking and its next to the beach, perfect. Must mention the two main department stores in Hull, fantastic, I think staff have some training and our problems had been quickly spotted 'oh I will go and get that for you' and 'I was doing just the same as you last week, I know how difficult it is'. Now the secret is out of the bag! I suppose we do have an above average elderly population which means . . . yes, we can guess can't we?

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
We also live in ERY. We love Yorkshire Sculpture Park although it is a bit of a journey. Brough library has been very helpful with us.
Do you attend any of the memory cafes?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point