Good news

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
My OH was diagnosed with ALZ in July 2015 and started Donepezil that September. We've just been to the memory clinic and his MMSE score was 27 which is the same as it was in October last year. This was such good news and both of us came away feeling very heartened.

I was almost hesitant to post my good news as I know how lucky we are and don't want to appear to be boastful but I thought it worth letting people know as I can recall my feelings of absolute devastation at the initial diagnosis and thinking that our future was so bleak. Obviously not everyone will have such great results, but it is possible that things may not be as grim as they first appear.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Never hesitate to post good news, Sammyjo1, as we all love to hear it! So glad that your husband had such good results, that's very heartening, and long may it continue.

xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Good news is always good news :)

When you are on a place like this it is easy to feel that everyones problems are going to happen to you, but its not like that. I hope your good news will help others who are worried about the future too.

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
Good news is always good news :)

When you are on a place like this it is easy to feel that everyones problems are going to happen to you, but its not like that. I hope your good news will help others who are worried about the future too.

Thanks Canary, that's why I posted it really

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My OH was diagnosed with ALZ in July 2015 and started Donepezil that September. We've just been to the memory clinic and his MMSE score was 27 which is the same as it was in October last year. This was such good news and both of us came away feeling very heartened.

I was almost hesitant to post my good news as I know how lucky we are and don't want to appear to be boastful but I thought it worth letting people know as I can recall my feelings of absolute devastation at the initial diagnosis and thinking that our future was so bleak. Obviously not everyone will have such great results, but it is possible that things may not be as grim as they first appear.

Pleased to hear this, Sammyjo. My husband was diagnosed in 2003 and retained very good scores for many years, and I hope your man does too. I know the results aren't everything, but looking back they were a fair reflection of how well he did generally for all those years, with help from me to get around the memory issues etc. Really pleased for you.

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
Good news indeed Sammyjo. We all need a bit of an uplift at times in the journey of discovery, and knowing that the medication helps to keep someone high functioning for some time is great. Long may it last for you. x:)

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
That's wonderful news Sammyjo and please never reluctant to share this kind of thing.

I am sure there is not a single person on this forum who would begrudge the fact that your OH has maintained a steady path over the past year and it is heartening for those whose loved ones are newly diagnosed because it shows that things do not suddenly change at the point of diagnosis.

Wishing you both many wonderful times and moments to celebrate ahead. Xxx

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
hi Sammyjo1 well that’s great Donepezil seem to be working and your upbeat and positive so good news all round , I my self been on Aricept for 16 years and I’m basically the same now at 72+ as I was at 57 when diagnosed , I was positive afdter dignoses and continued working until my retirement age 65 I still drive and do most things obviously age is effecting me now , and I have a problem when verbally conversing because the words get lost before I say them, but thats no big deal really probably talk rubbish anyway

so keep positave

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire

It's good to read your good news. My husband was put on Donepezil in 2013. We were told by the consultant that she expected no change in the first 6 months which was the case and then the drug would slow the progress of the disease. I think we all have to enjoy what goes well and just keep living as fully as we can. We were in China earlier this year and I have just booked a holiday in lanzarote for some winter sun.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Lost bluebird

Oct 6, 2015
Hi
My husband was prescribed donipenzil sorry can't spell and he seemed to improve even, certainly a good thing for him as i was informed it doesn't work for everyone. He took it for a year before it just stopped working but his decline was profound. So not a cure by any means but enjoy the time you have
Take care

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
My husband was diagnosed July 2014 and put on Donzepezil he has stayed the same and has more confidence. We go out everyday shopping, bingo or visiting family and he loves reading and playing X box games.

He has off days but soon picks up again usually after a sleep.

We have been to Malta for a week in June and had some nice days out. Im booking our holidays for next June soon.

The best way is to enjoy everyday and stay optomistic.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex

It was heartwarming to read your post, Sammyjo, and everyone here on TP likes to hear some good news, as, alas, sad news is so much more frequent. I'm so glad that Donepezil is helping your husband, and it's very successful in the early stages of Alzheimer's. It certainly helped my husband.

You now have a great opportunity to create lots more lovely memories together. I wish you both well. :)