good news

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
for those that dont know ive bored everyone silly about my problem with degeneration of my spine irritating my sciatic nerve and inflaming it. i have been stuck at home talking to the walls for 12 weeks and not coping with pain.i now have a date for the steroid injection in the root of the nerve. looking forward to that. well 20/10 is the date for it. arranging patient transport through gp and they have to see if im eligible. we havent a car i cant drive and the hospital has not got direct links to the hospital so would have to walk through the parks etc so hopefully fingers crossed. bit scared not looking forward to it has anyone else had it and can tell me what its like id appreciate. im just thinking of the benefits afterwards.

Last edited:

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Hi Jennifer 1967, that is good news, I know you are having a really tough time.
The only similar experience I have is a steroid injection into a long standing and very painful shoulder injury and I have to say the result was amazing. I really hope you get some relief.
Keep thinking of the benefits, really hope it works for you. xx

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @jennifer1967 . Good to see that you have a date for the injection and not long to wait. I have had steroid injections into my coccyx/tailbone, which I think is a similar procedure. The physio injects some local anaesthetic first. The injection itself isn't very pleasant but doesn't last very long, so soon over. The physio will probably be watching it on an ultra-sound screen to ensure that it gets to the right area and make it most effective. Try to visualize being somewhere lovely during it to help you relax. I hope it works well for you.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi Jennifer 1967, that is good news, I know you are having a really tough time.
The only similar experience I have is a steroid injection into a long standing and very painful shoulder injury and I have to say the result was amazing. I really hope you get some relief.
Keep thinking of the benefits, really hope it works for you. xx
thankyou vic10 it was very generous of you to respond after such sad news

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hello @jennifer1967 . Good to see that you have a date for the injection and not long to wait. I have had steroid injections into my coccyx/tailbone, which I think is a similar procedure. The physio injects some local anaesthetic first. The injection itself isn't very pleasant but doesn't last very long, so soon over. The physio will probably be watching it on an ultra-sound screen to ensure that it gets to the right area and make it most effective. Try to visualize being somewhere lovely during it to help you relax. I hope it works well for you.
thankyou lemonbalm i think you got it right. got to go to my happy place

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That sounds pretty awful, Jennifer. I have a touch of sciatica from time to time, so you have total sympathy. I hope all goes well on the 20th.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @jennifer1967,

That is good news and please keep us posted. You have certainly not been boring us I mean look at the issues I've had. It would be lovely if you could relax afterwards and I think you should plan something to look forward to.

MaNaAK

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Hi @jennifer1967
Just having a quick look in and so very pleased to see you have a date for your injection and will be happy to hear from you to update us all on how it goes. Good luck ?

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
That sounds pretty awful, Jennifer. I have a touch of sciatica from time to time, so you have total sympathy. I hope all goes well on the 20th.
Hi @nae sporran
Much sympathy for your Sciatica I have suffered this on a few occasions and its been so painful. I've been left with permanent numbness in toes and lower right leg and absolutely dread getting again.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi @jennifer1967
Just having a quick look in and so very pleased to see you have a date for your injection and will be happy to hear from you to update us all on how it goes. Good luck ?
thanks wildflowerlady, bit scary but ive had so much support from you and community on the forum. im diabetic so really dont have a lot of sensation in my feet anyway i got a blister from a hot water bottle and didnt feel it. no hot water bottles. i hope you are ok and your back is getting better. hope your husband and dad are doing ok as well and your sister is being reasonable ive been in bed all weekend ill but fine now. my husband cooked a lovely roast lamb tonight and i get to clear the mess up. take care jenny

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
However uncomfortable the procedure @jennifer1967 it will be a means to an end and I doubt it will be anything nearly as troublesome as what you are suffering now.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I had a spinal injection for pain in my hips and lower back, caused by childhood surgeries and severe osteoarthritis.
I had a local anaesthetic before the procedure and although it was a bit painful, not too bad. You will be very tired for a while after the procedure - they keep you in a ward for an hour or so and then you will need someone to pick you up or hospital transport.
I slept for most of the day after the procedure. Sadly, it didn't do much for my pain, but I think mine is more about joints and not nerves, so I hope it is more successful for you.
On the day, it is helpful to have a dressing gown you can wear over your hospital gown as you wait for the procedure and move from the ward to the procedure.
Fingers crossed for a good result for you.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
thanks wildflowerlady, bit scary but ive had so much support from you and community on the forum. im diabetic so really dont have a lot of sensation in my feet anyway i got a blister from a hot water bottle and didnt feel it. no hot water bottles. i hope you are ok and your back is getting better. hope your husband and dad are doing ok as well and your sister is being reasonable ive been in bed all weekend ill but fine now. my husband cooked a lovely roast lamb tonight and i get to clear the mess up. take care jenny
Get a hot water bottle with a fleecy cover then you won't risk burns. Mine is a big friendly crocodile.... :)

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
thought you would like to see what i made. more good news claiming AA filled forms in with welfare rights at my local council, having adaptions such as rails etc added to the house and referred for to council for adaptions to the bath as he cant get in ours, maybe a walk in one. we rent our house from the council so they will pay for adaptions for us. my friend is insisting on paying for a taxi for me to and from the hospital for the injection as its more comfortable. i havent said yes yet as i dont like accepting help but what a fantastic friend of 33yrs standing. i feel very blessed.

Attachments

• paddington 2.jpg
    paddington 2.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 345

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Oh, that all sounds good. Things are looking up for you. I think you should take up the offer of the taxi. If I had offered that to a friend, I would be very pleased indeed to have them accept. You can make them a Paddington Bear. Very cute.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Oh, that all sounds good. Things are looking up for you. I think you should take up the offer of the taxi. If I had offered that to a friend, I would be very pleased indeed to have them accept. You can make them a Paddington Bear. Very cute.
i will give her the one ive just made

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Hi @jennifer1967
Love the Paddington bear Jenny I wish I was good at craft and knitting to be honest can just about sew a button on :rolleyes:My late mum was a very good knitter but never actually taught me to knit not sure why as I would have liked to been able to.
Good you got the AA sorted both my dad and partner get this allowance it does help.
When Partner had OT in they made arrangements for us to have some bits done like an extra rail on stairs two frames for round toilets with incorporated seat in and bedrail plus a grip handle in shower cubicle we didn't have to pay anything. I have to say the toilet seat things are great and very comfy but cannot shut toilet seat lid as original toilet seat lid has to be in the up position, would this sort of seat be handy for you and husband? Seat has certainly helped my poor back although was really given for partners use as he struggles to get up and it has made it a lot easier for him as he can sit higher up our toilets seems really low now without it. We do tend to briefly remove the seat when we have visitors which is quick to do.
My ex brother-in-law and his wife had their bathroom adapted by the council as also rent and she has some mobility issues it was a walk- in bath fitted and she was very pleased with it.

Dad is getting more confused and latest today was he said to sister that the GP had called and told him his jaw was broken, dad then refused lunch telling carer his cheeks bones had burst so she called sister just to let her know sister then related it to me. I also read it in his notes on my visit but nothing actually wrong and he didn't say anything to me about it but did have a handkerchief tucked under his chin as if trying to support it so I just said to pop in his shirt pocket which is where he usually keeps it.
Looks like Scotland may have some more restrictions soon so maybe I might not see my daughter again for quite a while as she lives in Edinburgh. Take Care and well done for getting all that stuff sorted you must be feeling pleased. Sorry almost forgot how lovely of your friend to offer cost of Taxi do please take the offer you so deserve it.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan