1. groundhog

groundhog Registered User

Apr 2, 2006
    stevenage uk
    Hello all havent been here for a while but wanted to share some good news.......Im getting married :D yes:p Mums still living in LA LA land and things have got quite bad lately with mood swings etc but hey ho Im getting married :D My partner will move in with us and life will be great.My sons are coping lots better with their nanny the youngest has joined a carers group at his school which is a great help. A few years back I couldnt accept my mums dementia but gradually I came to understand and realise the best way is to find the patience inside me that she had for me when I was young. hope everyone is happy :)

2. MillyP

MillyP Registered User

Jan 5, 2007
    London
    Congratulations hun...hope you'll all be very happy....:)

3. christine_batch

christine_batch Registered User

Jul 31, 2007
    Buckinghamshire
    Congratulations

Dear Groundhog,
    Congratulations and very best to you all.
    I wish you all the best for your future.
    Best wishes
    Christine

4. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Hi Groundhog, congratulations!. I hope you'll be very happy. Will you post some pics?

What an excellent initiative! Thumbs up to the school for having such a group, I haven't heard of it before.

Love,

5. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    What a lovely cheering post groundhog, Congratulations.

What a good philosophy. :)

I admire your son for joining a young carer`s group, he must be a great help to you.

Please let us know when the happy day will be.

Love xx

6. BeckyJan

BeckyJan Registered User

Nov 28, 2005
    Derbyshire
    Hello Groundhog:

What a wonderful post. Congratulations on two things:
    firstly: your impending marriage :):):):):):)
    secondly: your attitude to your Mum's illness

You sound to be one very special person.

Best wishes Jan

7. burfordthecat

burfordthecat Registered User

Jan 9, 2008
    Female
    Leicestershire
    Hi goundhog

Congratulations. Hope you have a fantastic day which I am sure you will remember for the rest of your life:)

I can really relate to your comment about patience. I have a 2 year old and a 7 year old and my dear old dad who has memory issues. If I am taking everyone out I treat my dad the same as my 2 year old "Do you need the toilet? Have you got your coat?" It sound cruel but for us it really works. My dad does not realise that he is being treated this way and just thinks it is normal. In a lot of ways, I feel that I have become the parent in my relationship with dad. It took me about 6 months to "accept" my dad's disease rather than blame him or make excuses for it. Once I had accepted it, I was able to have "almost" never ending patience. After all, it was not my dad being akward which was doing this, but the disease.

As time goes on I am sure that you will find the patience with your mum, far and above what you thought you were capable of.

Burfordthecat

8. Taffy

Taffy Registered User

Apr 15, 2007
    Hello Groundhog,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

This is great news...I wish you all the happiness for your future.

Patience is definitely the key ingredient for best results in dealing with dementia.

I hope that your special day goes exactly as you have planned.

Best Wishes, Taffy.

9. zoet

zoet Registered User

YAY! good news!

I'm new and I dont know you, but CONGRATULATIONS. What a wonderful thing to look forward to. I hope you and your family are very happy and I wish you all the very best!:D

10. clarethebear

clarethebear Registered User

Oct 16, 2007
    manchester, uk
    What a lovely thread.

CONGRATULATIONS and all the best for the future.

Take Care
    Clare

11. ishard

ishard Registered User

Jul 10, 2007
    Congratulations!! :D Good news is always welcomed on here as we get so lttle of it.

lol I remember one day when my mum was having a really lucid few minutes and I said "Have you been to the loo?"

Now 'normally' her reply would have been either yes or no but in that few mins she 'caught' me and replied very offended
    "I am 73, not stupid!"

OOPS!

12. Nell

Nell Registered User

Aug 9, 2005
    Australia
    CONGRATULATIONS!!