Good news? Bad news? Some news anyway

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I just talked to my Mother's care manager: she feels it's unlikely that Mummy will be able to cope long-term back in the extra care flat. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. I'll see how it goes when I'm there. The good (probably) news is that there will be a bed available for her in the nursing home. On the other hand, she is eating well at the moment, which is a blessing.

Jennifer

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
good (probably) news is that there will be a bed available for her in the nursing home. On the other hand, she is eating well at the moment, which is a blessing.
yes does sound like good new your mum eating well and to look at it in a postive light at lest your mother will be in safe hands now all the time, in nursing home xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Jennifer, I think it`s good news. You have been worried for a while and if the decision is being made, you know, at least, that your mother will be safe.
It was bound to come. It`s as well it`s come now, before more complications are experienced.
Love Sylvia x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I must admit: it is a relief to know that she'll be as safe as she can be. I wanted to try and keep her in her own flat as long as possible, because that's what she wants, but it's a question of balancing that with her own needs. Fortunately, or unfortunately, they match my own needs as well. However, I'm not going to feel guilty (much).

Jennifer

E

Eve G.

Ouch.

What is the nursing home like? How is your mother reacting--does she understand? What about finances--does it take Medicaid if she runs out of money?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Eve

Remember I'm in the US, but my mother is in the UK so medicaid doesn't come into it. Actually the nursing home does take social services referrals, so if the money did run out she wouldn't have to move. The nursing home isn't perfect, well where is, but the most important point from my point of view is she knows the carers and they know (and like) her.

As to knowing where she is: this varies.

Funnily enough, going into the nursing home is probably going to work out around the same. The NH fees are £600 a week, while I've been paying almost £2000 a month for her care etc. Add on to that she owns her own apartment, so no income from that money, which will change when I sell it and it's a wash. Fees go up, of course, but her management fees were going up in April so....

Jennifer

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Jennifer, I reckon it's good news all round. Your mum won't have to move again and will be cared for by the same people as before and will be safe and is eating decently. That's really good news, all things considered. I know it's hard to realise that things are moving on, but if the HAVE to move on, (as of course they do for all of us at some stage), then the move to the NH is the very best that you could engineer, I'd say. So great that you're coming back again to settle things. That's going to make a big difference. Love

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Jennifer
It sounds good news to me. It's heartbreaking taking that next step isn't it. but concentrate on the positive side if you can....Your mum knows the carers,she will be safe, you will be more relaxed knowing that she is safe. I think its very sad when changes have to be made....it's the loss of the independence that hurts.
don't for one minute feel guilty.....you have nothing to feel guilty about:)
take care
Love Wendy xx