Good news at last!

Megan

Sep 10, 2005
Hampshire
I posted on here recently about my husband Colin who is 58 and in an assessment ward at present. I had the financial team visit and quote me £400 a month for Colin's care when he finally went into a home. I immediately wrote to my local Council stating that it was impossible for me to find this sort of money and that I would take advice from the Advocacy Service (thanks for that advice from one of you although I didn't have to take that course). I received a letter back today and our financial assessment has been reviewed and 'due to the nature of our circumstances', the Council's words not mine, I will only have to pay £26.22 per week. What a difference a letter can make. So if I had not written and told them I couldn't afford the first amount, would I have still had to pay it? It makes you wonder doesn't it. Still anybody facing the same situation try challenging the decision on the amount you have to pay, it might not work for everyone but you can only give it a go.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done Megan. That`s a good reduction, isn`t it?

But what was the point of the quote in the first place, when the Financial team surely knew your circumstances. You could have been spared so much worry.

annesharlie

Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
That is great news! It must be very heavily subsidized there - I understand if I have to pay privately here ( B.C. Canada) it's about $5 300 a month ( thats about 2 600 pounds!)

Hope Colin has settled in well and you are adjusting to this new phase.

Anne

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well it varies Anne. If you're a single person and own property and/or have savings you pay privately in the UK as well. As a point of comparison I (or rather my mother out of her savings) pays £600 a week for nursing home care.

Megan: that is excellent news. The LAs do have ability to excercise discretion in these case, but you do have to shout about it. I wonder how many people end up putting their and their children's future into debt because they simply don't realise that.

Jennifer

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Wow ........ well done Megan. That's really quite a difference. It does make you wonder how many people who are less assertive or have less access to support are losing out and paying more than they need.

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Oh Megan, I'm so pleased to hear your news, well done. The sad thing is though that you really should not have been put through all this worry and stress.

Jackie