Good new for Dad hopefully!

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
One of the NH we viewed nearer to home now has a bed for Dad. They have been to assess him today and said they would take him and I am going to take him to look round on Monday:)

I do have to pay £20 a week top-up fee for him to have a bed there but I am spending at least £30 a week on petrol at the moment to visit him so I dont mind that.

Some things that are still not sorted are:
No contact from SS who are supposed to do an assessment of his finances.
No contact from Pension Service...I called them on 1/4 to tell them he had gone into a NH at that I wanted to become his appointee. They told me I would get an appointment by letter within 2 weeks and to continue to collect his pension for him until something else was sorted.
I have done so but his money has remained the same and I think he may be getting benefits that he may not now be entitled to now he is in a NH...but I cant ask as I am not yet his appointee!!
I cant find any paper work that breaks down his payments but I think he may have been getting DLA and AA but I'm not sure.
Hope we can sort out the finances soon.

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear jack
I am so pleased that you have been able to get a place at a nursing home thats a bit nearer. I hope that your Dad will have happier experiences at last. Please let us know when he moves in.
take care
hendy

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I think DLA - Disability Living Allowance is paid only if the claim was made before the person was aged 60 for women and 65 for men.

AA - Attendance Allowance is the benefit given if the claimant is (woman)over 60 and (male)over 65. This does not have the Mobility Rate Component included.

Claims can only be made for one of the above two benefits so your dad would either be on DLA or on AA but not on both.

The DWP are notoriously slow and do need consrtant phone calls to get things sorted out. I have informed them 4 times now that my husband has gone into care and am still awaiting a confirmation letter from them'

Hope the above helps a little when dealing with them

xxTinaT

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Jack

Very good news about the NH. You'll be so much happier having your dad nearer to you.

I hope you manage to get the finances sorted soon, and you can relax and enjoy visiting him.

Best wishes,

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Thanks everyone I am feeling much happier that we can move Dad real soon.

Thanks for the info TinaT...I have tried working out from the DWP site how Dad's pension and benefits are made up but as I dont know what he was intitled to it's a bit difficult. I pressume then he gets his pension,AA, pension credit? Just have to chase them up again on Monday.

Will update you all when I have shown Dad round the NH!