Good Morning!

Scarecrow

Jul 27, 2012
England
Hello

I’ve been lurking a while, it was our GP who directed me here. I thought I was pretty switched with the whole dementia thing but I’m learning so much from the posts on here.

My dear hubby has dementia he’s had it a while but we’ve coped. A combination of humour, a shed load of patience and a well developed ability to filter out the repetitiveness and we’ve survived.

I think I’ve just had enough– just caught hubby hanging upside down out the side of the bed, trying to get whatever it is that only he with his special dementia powers can see! Sadly those special powers don’t stretch to reversing the action back into bed!

A quick question – hubby is no longer able to walk, seems to have lost the communication between his brain and his legs, he has no balance whatsoever and just falls if he tries to stand unaided – he forgets he can’t walk and will keep trying to get up and of course he falls which then leads to anger/frustration/aggression. Luckily most of the time he has landed backwards on the bed/sofa but one of these days he’s going to really hurt something. Any ideas to try and keep him from getting up on his own?

SC

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good morning Scarecrow

A quick question – hubby is no longer able to walk, seems to have lost the communication between his brain and his legs, he has no balance whatsoever and just falls if he tries to stand unaided – he forgets he can’t walk and will keep trying to get up and of course he falls which then leads to anger/frustration/aggression. Luckily most of the time he has landed backwards on the bed/sofa but one of these days he’s going to really hurt something. Any ideas to try and keep him from getting up on his own?

I`m so sorry SC but this is precisely what happened to my husband but he landed on the floor, literally sliding out of bed. I couldn`t lift him, he was unable to help himself and I had to call out paramedics almost every night.

He also was able to walk with help to sit at the table to eat, but by the time he`d eaten, the messages enabling him to stand up to return to the living room were scrambled and I had to call our son to help get him onto his feet.

Any ideas to try and keep him from getting up on his own?
I wish I had.
We had grab rails , walking sticks and a zimmer. All offering only temporary help. This loss of mobility is the reason my husband is in residential care now because our house is too small for a hoist and further adaptions.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Scarecrow, I don't have any practical advice but just wanted to say hello and welcome you to Talking Point.

turbo

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Welcome to the world of posting on Talking Point and I do hope that you find it an enhancing experience:)

Unfortunately, I have no words of experience or wisdom that will help you in this situation although I was wondering whether this might be worth mentioning to your husband's consultant in the hope that he can arrange for a CPN to visit you for a complete reassessment of your needs. I bet the CPN has a wealth of experience and contacts and hopefully there may be ways to make life a little easier.

Love

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello from me too Scarecrow, would just like to welcome you to Talking Point and hope you will find it not only welcoming but helpful too. I am sorry but I also do not have any practical advice regarding your dear husband, but I am in the "magic world" of dementia, as my mum has Alzheimer's and mum in law Vasular Dementia:eek:very well done to your GP to advise you to join us:)can only say that your CPN needs to do another assessment on these recent problems and Soicial Services can help out with various aids to help your husband for a while (as Grannie G said grab rails,zimmer etc)

sending you my best wishes for help soon, and keep posting and let us know how things are x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet