Good Days & Bad days.

In a Whirl

Feb 23, 2015
The aged parent has vascular dementia & is not showing signs of alzheimers ..according to GP. Ok,I can understand that part of the brain is damaged . However on a good day every thing works well. So what 's going on ? Could it be some other cause such as depression etc. "Brain fatigue" which comes & goes, seems to be present on a bad day.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
At the beginning of Mums AD diagnosis in June 13, she had more good days than bad.
To the point where we thought they must have got it wrong.

Now she has more bad days than good... in fact she will maybe have a few hours of good than a day.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
My OH has good and bad days still 4 years into his journey but more and more decline is showing. I don't always notice that much as I am in the bubble with him and it takes a report from consultants or services to make me realise that there are further declines albeit little ones. We just enjoy our time we have and make the best of it :) and adjust and re adjust

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Blackfield

Mar 8, 2015
Sounds very similar to our experience. On the good days we always felt so optimistic. Now we have very few good moments, let alone days. Mood is constantly confrontational and the world is against him. It has now come to the point when my 85 year old mum needs to have a life and my dad will have to go into care.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
My mum's abilities fluctuated - on a good day she was lucid and "with it" and could manage her life pretty well; on a bad day she described herself as "foggy", and simple tasks and clarity were beyond her.

I understood it as being the biology of the brain - on good days the blood was flowing well with oxygen and nutrition and brain chemicals working, on bad days it all seemed to be blocked. As to what caused those differences I never found an answer...

Depression often seems to be part of dementia.

I learned to make the most of those good days, and not try to do too much on the bad days.

In a Whirl

Feb 23, 2015
Hi this is interesting. Noticed today a good improvement after Aged P was taken outside in the sunshine for half an hour. There is useful information about improving neuroplasticity of the brain on the net.