Good days, bad days

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Helped, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Helped

Helped Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    Female
    I haven't been on here for a while because I have had problems with Jim. What with the obvious memory troubles, general grumpiness/apathy, his food fads and appetite problems, his walking has deteriorated quite a lot - he stumbled twice in 10 minutes yesterday and nearly went right over, but this has forced him to admit that he has problems, he even admitted he has dementia which is such a quantum leap forward for him. He has been in total denial for 2 years. He has even agreed to see his GP next month and I have just spent ages filling in the form for Attendance Allowance (a big 'thank you' to all you lovely friends on this site that advised me about this) and he was quite happy for me to do this. He didn't even kick up a fuss when I bought him a walking stick. I hope to get some things sorted out when he sees his GP (I will have to go with him otherwise he won't remember why he is there!) Fingers crossed he continues to be cooperative......

2. Banjomansmate

Banjomansmate Registered User

Jan 13, 2019
    Female
    Dorset
    It sounds as though things are moving in the right direction in relation to Jim’s understanding of his own problems and need of assistance, even though physically he is deteriorating.

3. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    That's good news that you got the attendance allowance forms, so hopefully you can thing about applying for carers allowance next, Helped.
    I hope the cooperative phase lasts long enough to get the support you both need from Jim's GP. It is a pity about the mobility problems, but a stick will help and if you can get a zimmer for the house that would make a difference.