Good days and bad days

gozogirl60

Jul 6, 2015
I'm very confused. My Mum who is 87 was diagnosed last Nov with Alzheimers and Vascular Dementia. She has been on a short but very rapid downhill pathway. She is just over 6 stone. However, the last 3 weeks, she seems to be in a cycle of a good day every 6 where she is lucid, wants to get out of bed, and I can get her to eat and drink as much as possible. Then she fades, doesn't want to get out of bed, is exceptionally confused and shows a lot of the symptoms of late stage Alzheimers. Does anyone have any similar experiences. It's a hateful condition, as these spikes give me huge hope, only to be dashed again usually within 36 hours.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
It is confusing, my mum's dementia is not so far advanced , but does have good and bad days when she will suddenly go into the kitchen and make herself a cup of tea[very strong and very sweet, not the why she likes it] and will want to iron clothes or mop kitchen floor and these two tasks she does so well and I think wow, she is back!!! but of course that's not it because she then becomes very tired and confused and doesn't believe me when I tell her what she has done.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I'm very confused. My Mum who is 87 was diagnosed last Nov with Alzheimers and Vascular Dementia. She has been on a short but very rapid downhill pathway. She is just over 6 stone. However, the last 3 weeks, she seems to be in a cycle of a good day every 6 where she is lucid, wants to get out of bed, and I can get her to eat and drink as much as possible. Then she fades, doesn't want to get out of bed, is exceptionally confused and shows a lot of the symptoms of late stage Alzheimers. Does anyone have any similar experiences. It's a hateful condition, as these spikes give me huge hope, only to be dashed again usually within 36 hours.

My husband is the same, he has good and bad days . He was diagnosed in 2010 . On a bad day there is confusion and very slow speech on good days he is quite active and almost fine . However he does slow down by late afternoon everyday and does not sleep well at night .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum went to the eye clinic last week and was able to tell them, quite correctly, her age and date of birth! You could have knocked me down with a feather - she hasnt known that for months!
The following day she is back to thinking she is in her twenties and had no recollection of going to the hospital. :(