Good day for dad but care home not happy

J53

Oct 9, 2018
Today my mum visited my dad he seemed calmer so she decieded to take him out in his wheel chair the care home were not happy with this as he is always falling out of chairs and puts himself on the floor. They went to look at the trains as the station is a few mins from the care home. He was engaged with what was going on enjoying fresh air and the sun and got back safely. The care then reprimanded my mum saying she is not to take him out again as he could fall from the chair but he was strapped in. My mum asked why they didn't take him out into the garden they said no due to the risks of falling so why in todays world is he being left like a dog on a mattress in his room with the door closed ?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I have not yet had the experience of care homes but I would not be happy with that.

See what others say. They will be along soon with more experience than I have.

Glad you have found talking point as it is a very useful and supportive place.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Today my mum visited my dad he seemed calmer so she decieded to take him out in his wheel chair the care home were not happy with this as he is always falling out of chairs and puts himself on the floor. They went to look at the trains as the station is a few mins from the care home. He was engaged with what was going on enjoying fresh air and the sun and got back safely. The care then reprimanded my mum saying she is not to take him out again as he could fall from the chair but he was strapped in. My mum asked why they didn't take him out into the garden they said no due to the risks of falling so why in todays world is he being left like a dog on a mattress in his room with the door closed ?
Welcome to talking point, you will find lots of very helpful friends here. Could you speak to the manager of the home and ask her why is he just being left in his room with the door closed? He must be getting very lonely like that. I can just about see why they are worried about him being taken out as they have obviously experienced him falling about a lot, but I would have thought he could go out in the garden under supervision. Raise this and see.
with warmest wishes,
Kindred.

J53

Oct 9, 2018
Welcome to talking point, you will find lots of very helpful friends here. Could you speak to the manager of the home and ask her why is he just being left in his room with the door closed? He must be getting very lonely like that. I can just about see why they are worried about him being taken out as they have obviously experienced him falling about a lot, but I would have thought he could go out in the garden under supervision. Raise this and see.
with warmest wishes,
Kindred.
Thank you for you reply apparently he upsets people walking past when then see him lying on mattresses on the floor just shouting and screaming he does this most days but occasionally my dad is in a good mood. My mum has witnessed lots at this care home mainly lack of staff I live 240 miles away so finding it hard to support my mum while having my own family she has a review in November hopefully we might get some answers then.

J53

Oct 9, 2018
I have not yet had the experience of care homes but I would not be happy with that.

See what others say. They will be along soon with more experience than I have.

Glad you have found talking point as it is a very useful and supportive place.
Your support is great also helps me advise my mum I wish I could be there to support her but 240 miles separate us

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Presumably they are crash mats that have been put on the floor so he doesnt hurt himself- far from being ''left like a dog on a mattress''.

Who closes the door? carers or Dad?

The are between a rock and a hard place - doesnt sound as though he is perhaps in the best place to meet his needs. People that are at the point of laying on the floor screaming possibly shouldn't be with people who are aware enough to mind

J53

Oct 9, 2018
Presumably they are crash mats that have been put on the floor so he doesnt hurt himself- far from being ''left like a dog on a mattress''.

Who closes the door? carers or Dad?

The are between a rock and a hard place - doesnt sound as though he is perhaps in the best place to meet his needs. People that are at the point of laying on the floor screaming possibly shouldn't be with people who are aware enough to mind
There are mattresses all over the floor in his room not crash mats my dad can't do anything for himself went down hill rapidly in July one day he was shuffling next couldn't even feed himself let alone stand, the carers shut the door my mum wants to move him but he was put in there by the hospital she has no say till the review in November. When hopefully he can be moved but at the moment he can't even sit in a chair or bed as he constantly puts himself on the floor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba