Good books on dementia

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hello everyone.

Does anyone know of a good book that can properly explain all the stages of dementia? I've been caring for my husband for the last four years and have had no support whatsoever. Thank goodness, that might be changing tomorrow as someone from the Alzheimer's Society is popping over to chat with us both. I hope I get a result, at long last, and finally have a bit of support; even if it's only coming here.

Meanwhile, if this also fails, I need far more information as to what I'm 'in for' in the long haul. I've done much research on the Internet and have a few books detailing other people's stories. However, I'm living my own story and I need educating.

Any help would be rewarding. Thank you,

Jen

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya,

I think you have already found the difficulty in reading books and trawling the internet looking for information and that is that it can very much come across as a sort of generalisation that doesn't match your own experiences. At the end of the day you are looking for information and answers that helps you deal with what you are experiencing here and now.

Can I suggest that you start a new thread and give it a title that is about your journey with dementia. Then post on there and ask for the information you need - keep using the same thread and add to it as you go along. I can guarantee you that there will always be someone on here who is either going through or has gone through the challenges that you are facing right now. They will share with you their experiences and will point you in the direction of any information or resources that you might need. By sticking with the one thread it lets you also look back and see how things have progressed over time and also how you dealt with things in the past and what worked and didn't work for you. In addition, if all your posts are in the one place then others will look out for your thread and you're more apt to get people regularly contributing.

I can start the ball rolling by asking you to share with us the issues you are having to deal with right now and also what type of information do you want that would be of help to you? If we can help in any way then we will.

Fiona

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
Hello Chuggalug I can't help with a book but have you read Alzheimers Society factsheets I found them very useful
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200137

Do you not get support from your community mental health nurse? Ours visits us once a month at present and referred my husband to day care which he now goes to once a week. Just knowing that health professional is there for you to contact if desperate is good. I haven't had to phone him yet but at least I know I've got that contact if need be.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Do you not get support from your community mental health nurse? Ours visits us once a month at present and referred my husband to day care which he now goes to once a week. Just knowing that health professional is there for you to contact if desperate is good. I haven't had to phone him yet but at least I know I've got that contact if need be.

Hiya Feline,

Nothing in four years of trying. We were supposed to start getting help from tomorrow, but hubby's gone and thrown a spanner in the works and had a stroke tonight. So off he went to hospital. So I've got to stop everyone in their tracks in the morning, and probably start again after he gets back out of hospital!

What a caper this life is. I just caught Hubs getting up as I was going to bed and heard he couldn't talk properly, so called the emergency services and they came out straight away.

For all I know, he might get his head scan that he should have got last year.

I can live in hope, sigh...

amp

Mar 2, 2014
Contended dementia by Oliver James .
Where memories go by Sally Magnusson.
Both extraordinary :)

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hiya,

I think you have already found the difficulty in reading books and trawling the internet looking for information and that is that it can very much come across as a sort of generalisation that doesn't match your own experiences. At the end of the day you are looking for information and answers that helps you deal with what you are experiencing here and now.

Can I suggest that you start a new thread and give it a title that is about your journey with dementia. Then post on there and ask for the information you need - keep using the same thread and add to it as you go along. I can guarantee you that there will always be someone on here who is either going through or has gone through the challenges that you are facing right now. They will share with you their experiences and will point you in the direction of any information or resources that you might need. By sticking with the one thread it lets you also look back and see how things have progressed over time and also how you dealt with things in the past and what worked and didn't work for you. In addition, if all your posts are in the one place then others will look out for your thread and you're more apt to get people regularly contributing.

I can start the ball rolling by asking you to share with us the issues you are having to deal with right now and also what type of information do you want that would be of help to you? If we can help in any way then we will.

Fiona

Fiona, if I was to tell anyone on here about my experiences, I'd be laughed out of town, or taken to court. They were that bad. Although I've read of someone else's experiences on here, who fared exactly the same.

Help? What's that? I've had to go it alone all the way through my husband's active illness. You wouldn't believe the people who turned their backs on my calls for help. I'm currently trying to get something sorted out for yet another scan for hubby, and I'm right back in the same boat I was in last year. He MISSED his scan last year, due to people fobbing me off over transport issues. That particular scan was to help with diagnosing what type of dementia he has. Into our fifth year, and still no diagnosis, still being ignored. The scan he wants now is to check for emphysema in his lungs. If he doesn't get it; again, because I can't get him there - who knows what could happen?

That's why I have to learn everything from books and the Internet. It's the only way I can get information and to know what to look out for. That's why I asked.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Contended dementia by Oliver James .
Where memories go by Sally Magnusson.
Both extraordinary :)

amp: I think I've got both of those. Plus a load more! I've also got a book on the brain, since Hubby had his TIA a few weeks ago.