Gone wobbly walking last few days

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Mum has been on Memantine tablets for about a month or more now and she has built up to the maximum dose of 20mg. Doc warned us of possible dizzyness and tiredness so advised to take them at night.

But over the last few days about a week into the full dose of memantine she has become a bit unsteady on her feet. She hasnt mentioned any dizzyness but says she is tired.

Could there be a connection with the tablets? She was using a single stick but now has had to resort to a frame and was wobbly about 8 weeks ago when she came out of hospital but then managed with a stick. Now she seems to be going backwards to unsteady again. Any ideas?

Tim

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi banger 696
my dad changed from Donepezil to Memantine fairly recently and did have spells of being zonked out and unsteady - so there may be a link to the meds - however he seems to have periods of tiredness and being less steady at regular intervals, so could just be how it is in general - sometimes he walks just holding onto the wall rails, at others uses one stick and sometimes needs a frame - he does, though, often complain about being dizzy (all this well before the new meds)
if you are in any doubt, I would mention it to your mum's GP/consultant, definitely if she gets worse
best wishes

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi, I suggest you speak to the GP , it may be that the higher dose is affecting your mum and a spell back on the lower does before trying the higher dose again or perhaps staying on the lower dose would be best for your mum.

It would also be a good idea to check if mum has an infection UTIs (urinary tract infection) or a chest infection as often what seems to be a sudden downturn in can be caused by an infection.

Last edited:

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Today she has discarded her frame and been toddling around with a stick, although I do wish the dog would keep out of her way.

Thanks for the advice.

Tim