Gone to respite today

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
I took my sister into respite for the first time today. it is a dementia unit attached to the care home. She was adamant that was not going although i told her it was just for a day or two while they checked how she was. when she got there she just looked at the other people (who were all asleep) and her face seemed to say what om earth am i doing here.I felt very guilty It was very sad to leave her there looking so sad but I know by tomorrow she will,have forgotten how long she has been there and just be asking when she is going home. hope she forgets its me who took her there , i expect she will.
By the way the staff were very nice and said that everyone is like this when they come in- taht is they dont want to be there, but said she would be ok.

Well we are off to tenerife in the morning, just have to try and forget everything.

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Am I some kind of nut?

For a number of years I have been a governor of our local primary school. Recently I learnt about an HIV/AID orphanage in Thailand from a friend of mine and thought that it would be nice if our children had contact with those less fortunate than them. The upshot is that I have been busy, mainly on the internet , setting up a link. Being able to sit with my wife whilst I am busy with this project is a valuable stress relief strategy whilst still being able to care for her.

The reason for my doubt over my sanity is that I will be spending my annual weeks respite visiting the orphanage and I wonder if this is a wise move.

Dick

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dick, if it is something you want to do, rather than something you have to do, I am sure it will be benifical.

You sound a very caring man, I wish you well. Connie

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hope the holiday's a good one Pammy :cool:

Dick
My bet is you will come home physically shattered from travelling that distance, but mentally refreshed from having seen the fruits of your labours! Good luck to you enjoy every minute :)

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Yes had a lovely holiday and a good rest. fetched Win back just now they said she was a pleasure to have and everything was ok. But since i got her home she is very confused and wantsme to take her home cant remember she is living here. She is looking very miserable although when I picked he up she was smiling. Hope she returns to her normality soon.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
So glad you had a good holiday and all seems to have been OK while you were away, and good luck with getting her used to being home again.

Lila

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Thanks Lila. She seems more settled now. Has gone off to day care today of course still saying she doesnt want to but that is usual. when the taxi comes she almost runs to get in. so back to normaal.