Gone downhill fast.... FNC .... Care Home's Admissions Process

Suzy R

Jul 4, 2004
Switzerland
I haven't posted for ages, my mother's been in her own personal limbo for nearly seven years, but and by and large my father (now in his late 80s) has coped with some additional weekday help. Since my last visit three weeks ago, she has deteriorated fast, and residential care is now the only option. I plan to visit this coming Friday, but am now wondering if I can resolve things as quickly as I had hoped.

The care home I have in mind mentioned Funded Nursing Care - my parents are on paper well-off enough to fund her care in full - as being available to all, but how to we go about applying? I have limitted time when in the UK and am generally only there from Friday afternoon until Sunday. Can the care home apply, or do I need to do this on her behalf and is there anything I should be watching for? My mother has no social worker assigned to her and her GP is close to hopeless. We have exercised an EPA.

The care home mentions on their web site that they like to assess the patient's needs (probably not the PC word to use) before admission - how long should I allow for the admissions process? Do I need to go for an emergency admission? Ought I to attend this assessment?

Thanks for any insight / help.

Suzy

dolly gee

Mar 9, 2007
merseyside
Suzy R said:
I haven't posted for ages, my mother's been in her own personal limbo for nearly seven years, but and by and large my father (now in his late 80s) has coped with some additional weekday help. Since my last visit three weeks ago, she has deteriorated fast, and residential care is now the only option. I plan to visit this coming Friday, but am now wondering if I can resolve things as quickly as I had hoped.

The care home I have in mind mentioned Funded Nursing Care - my parents are on paper well-off enough to fund her care in full - as being available to all, but how to we go about applying? I have limitted time when in the UK and am generally only there from Friday afternoon until Sunday. Can the care home apply, or do I need to do this on her behalf and is there anything I should be watching for? My mother has no social worker assigned to her and her GP is close to hopeless. We have exercised an EPA.

The care home mentions on their web site that they like to assess the patient's needs (probably not the PC word to use) before admission - how long should I allow for the admissions process? Do I need to go for an emergency admission? Ought I to attend this assessment?

Thanks for any insight / help.

Suzy
Suzy you need to get in touch with scoacial services and they will organise assesment you can attend .they will sourght out finance and top up fees.I am sorry about your mum i know what its like it can take time also ther is always respite care while things are going thrugh good luck you can get emergancy care good luck i have been there dolly gee

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Suzi

Yes, the GP can do it, or your mum's consultant.

You could also get a referral through the local branch of Alzheimer's Society. Dolly Gee's right, you need to get SS involved as soon as possible to arrange an assessment, and discuss funding.

Good luck,

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Suzy,

You can also contact Social Services directly, that's what we did regarding my father-in-law.

Take care,

Sandy

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If when you're talking about funded nursing care, you mean the nursing contribution that will be assessed by the PCT. In theory, this should happen automatically, in practice if she's not coming out of a hospital situation it may not. See this fact sheet
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Caring..._and_nursing_care/info_nursingassessments.htm. As to when the care home can carry out their assessment, only they will be able to tell you. If they have a bed available they may be able to do it the next day, if they don't, they probably won't feel a sense of urgency. You probably don't need to be there for that assessment: if they decide she's a suitable candidate you're set, and if they don't, there's not a lot you can do about it. The nursing assessment from the PCT will take considerably longer, but you don't have to wait for that before making a placement.

Jennifer

Suzy R

Jul 4, 2004
Switzerland
Thanks, Jennifer.
Yes, that's what I meant (my parents can't expect anything else at the moment), and no, my mother is not coming from hospital, although the emergency services did want to admit her last week when she fell, but dad wouln't let her go and now can't cope. In a way it's a pity, as it would have got the ball rolling again.

What worries me is the suitability issue. These places' broschures (spelling ?) are full of pictures of happy smiling people, and she's far from that. Does anyone know what we do if no care home will take her?

Thanks, too, to Sandy and Skye.
Ironically, when my mother still conversed with people she summarily dismissed the consultant and refused to take her arricept as it made her thirsty, so she has had no regular medical attention / supervision, but that's another story.

Roll on tomorrow, when I can get to talk to the right people, today being a bank holiday in the UK.

Thanks again,

Suzy

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Suzy

I'm sure you will find a place for your Mum, of course the brochure is full of happy smiling people, they want you to go to them.

Holiday brochures don't tell the whole story either, I would suggest the only way to assess a home is to visit it and talk to the staff and see for yourself what it's like.

We went to two homes before we moved Mum, one "felt" right, the staff had all been there for several years and Mum has been well looked after for almost two years now. Mum is self funded and gets no help with fees.............I'm still trying though!

Good luck tomorrow, it must be so difficult for you being away from your parents.

Kathleen

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
As Kathleen said: smiling people who appear to have no reason to even be in a nursing home seem to be standard in these brochures. The reality will be considerably different. There will be a home that feels right for your mother: it may or may not be this one, but there will be one.

Jennifer

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Visiting is a good idea. Also check out the latest visit reports from the Commission for Social Care Inspection who are charged with inspecting and registering all care homes whether nursing or residential. These are available at www.csci.gov.uk

Suzy R

Jul 4, 2004
Switzerland
Thanks again, everyone.

I've done all the checks I can from here via the internet / telephone and so far so good. The home is newish and the report was encouraging.

My choice, however, is somewhat limitted, as we need a nursing bed with my mother having a stoma and practically now helpless. The only thing she can do is eat (uncontrollably).

I am also influenced by distance from the home to my parents house as Dad can still drive locally. If this home doesn't work out the nearest alternative is too far away, so fingers crossed.

My mother will be entirely self-funded, but I will attempt to get the non means-tested NHS payment, as I believe she is entitled.

Yes, it's hard being so far away. I left the UK twenty years ago, and am out of touch with things like the NHS and the DSS. I return only to visit at weekends, and usually planned in advance!

Suzy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R