Gok Wan's New BFF!

Lizbuff

Apr 9, 2019
Just as way of introduction, I'm an only child caring for my 78 year old mum, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's just over 2 years ago.

Lock-down has been a bit challenging - she's had slight deterioration, as have many of our PWD. She now asks frequently if the loo is upstairs, who lives in our flat and should she be going 'home' soon. Thanks to the invaluable advice here, I know exactly how to try to handle these moments. She said this evening "My dad's dead, isn't he? And my mum?" which was sad, but she accepts it when I agree. We thankfully manage quite well & laugh a lot.

She's obsessed with people on TV being fat or having huge noses for some reason (I gather others have similar thoughts!!)

This evening, we were watching Say Yes to the Dress when she suddenly said "I know him!" referring to Gok Wan. I couldn't help it and thoughtlessly said "That's Gok Wan - you don't know him mum. If I thought you knew him I'd be over the moon!". "I know him!! He's lovely..." she persisted. I could hear the tone and sense the appearance of 'the face' so I said "OK, OK". My bad! She also thinks she knows Sean Wallace from The Chase - "Look at his face, he's not that grump, he's always lovely to me when I see him..!".

Hey ho, it makes her happy!

Best wishes and hugs to all of you on here xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
She's obsessed with people on TV being fat or having huge noses for some reason (I gather others have similar thoughts!!)
Coming out of the supermarket once with my husband, there were two very "large" ladies leaning over a shopping trolley sorting their stuff. As we passed, Husband announces to me "I really don't like ladies with fat a***s." ??

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum was obsessed with fat people too. Often when I was pushing her along a pavement, she would keep up a running commentary - "Ooh, look at her! Who ate all the pies?", "Look at the a**** on her!" or "what does she think she looks like?" Funny in retrospect, but highly embarrassing in the moment.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Ditto my mum. With her it was fatness, tattoos, ripped jeans, bare skin or young women in coffee shops with kids in buggies. They shouldn't have been there (which she would announce loudly) because they were all on benefits!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Coming out of the supermarket once with my husband, there were two very "large" ladies leaning over a shopping trolley sorting their stuff. As we passed, Husband announces to me "I really don't like ladies with fat a***s." ??
Sorry but that did put a smile on my face..Dad often remarks that his carers are “heavy” and should stop eating ?.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother would also go on about women with large bottoms, completely oblivious to the fact that she was at least 3 stone overweight. She would also loudly say that a crying or noisy child should be given a good smack. Not to mention the racist comments period which really upset me.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My mother would also go on about women with large bottoms, completely oblivious to the fact that she was at least 3 stone overweight. She would also loudly say that a crying or noisy child should be given a good smack. Not to mention the racist comments period which really upset me.

That sounds like MY mother you’re talking about @Canadian Joanne!

Lizbuff

Apr 9, 2019
? Oh no! Hope you don't mind that it made me smile, too! Glad to know it isn't just mum!

Lizbuff

Apr 9, 2019
Mum was obsessed with fat people too. Often when I was pushing her along a pavement, she would keep up a running commentary - "Ooh, look at her! Who ate all the pies?", "Look at the a**** on her!" or "what does she think she looks like?" Funny in retrospect, but highly embarrassing in the moment.
Oh dear - made me smile, but I can imagine the embarrassment...?☺

Lizbuff

Apr 9, 2019
Ditto my mum. With her it was fatness, tattoos, ripped jeans, bare skin or young women in coffee shops with kids in buggies. They shouldn't have been there (which she would announce loudly) because they were all on benefits!
Oh dear - how awkward for you! I wonder why the mildest of speaking voices can suddenly become a megaphone but only for the things you wouldn't want overheard - mine's the same!

Lizbuff

Apr 9, 2019
Oh goodness - that must have been so difficult for you ?

Lizbuff

Apr 9, 2019
Thank you all so much for your replies - I was really hoping to find humour & understanding with people who know exactly what it's like & I feel I have certainly done so.
Hope you've all had good days & sending best wishes & hugs xx

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Thank you all so much for your replies - I was really hoping to find humour & understanding with people who know exactly what it's like & I feel I have certainly done so.
Hope you've all had good days & sending best wishes & hugs xx
my nan who we believed was suffering from dementia, when the vicar came round to discuss funeral details for her daughter, my mum, my nan would say how long is this going to last as ive got to get my pension and shopping. when we went to the church, she said of bthe vicar wheres he gone and this is a bit too religious. she was deaf but didnt want to wear her hearing aids and didnt have the tact to talk quietly. shes died a few years ago after my mum died but you could hear her before you could see her

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It's obviously a common symptom. The filters aren't working. So what pops into the head, comes straight out the mouth!

Lizbuff

Apr 9, 2019
my nan who we believed was suffering from dementia, when the vicar came round to discuss funeral details for her daughter, my mum, my nan would say how long is this going to last as ive got to get my pension and shopping. when we went to the church, she said of bthe vicar wheres he gone and this is a bit too religious. she was deaf but didnt want to wear her hearing aids and didnt have the tact to talk quietly. shes died a few years ago after my mum died but you could hear her before you could see her
Oh Jennifer1967. I'm so sorry about your mum. I hope you don't mind, but that did make me give a wry smile ☺