1. Chewy

Chewy Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Hi everyone, seem to be going through it these last few weeks no different to everyone else. As some of you know I care for my dad who lives in his own home with my mum. Dad seems to be pushing us to our limits and now has started to urinate in different parts of the house but not in the toilet. We take him to the toilet regularly but he just can't go but the next minute soon as your backs turned he will take a pee up the wall. We are concerned not just the fact where he is urinating but more so why there is such a delay before he can pass water. Number twos is not as bad but can still be a problem even with a bright red loo seat so he can see the toilet. Any comments would be gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

2. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Have you taken him to the Continence Service yet? They can prescribe medication to make urination easier (OH is on Tamsulosin) and incontinence pads. I know it's difficult to understand but they are not doing it on purpose. How many times have I had to clean OH up a minute after he got off the loo?

3. Chewy

Chewy Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Not been told about any clinic, will check it out . Do I speak to my dads GP or his memory clinic? To be honest with you we have not really been given much info we seem to have to fight to get a nurse to visit him at home but thanks for the advice .

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    The GP should refer to the continence clinic or nurse.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

5. Risa

Risa Registered User

Apr 13, 2015
    Essex
    Chewy, if your Dad is having trouble passing water quickly, maybe mention it to your GP in case it is a prostate issue? Not sure if the Continence Clinic would deal with that?

6. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    That's right. In my husband's case he was sent to the hospital for a bladder scan and examination as well as the referral to the Continence Clinic.