Going to bed early

Kellyj

Aug 18, 2015
Hi everyone, my mother in law has dementia and Alzheimer's. My partner is her main carer and I help out as much as I can. We've cared for her for the past 4yrs and are keen to keep her in her own home for as long as we possibly can. We do all the day to day things for her like washing clothes, bathing, cleaning, shopping, cooking etc
Just recently she has started to go to bed really early so is missing her 8pm tablets coming out of her machine, which then activates the careline who ring us. Anyone experienced anything like this and have any advice ?!

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
bed time

Hi everyone, my mother in law has dementia and Alzheimer's. My partner is her main carer and I help out as much as I can. We've cared for her for the past 4yrs and are keen to keep her in her own home for as long as we possibly can. We do all the day to day things for her like washing clothes, bathing, cleaning, shopping, cooking etc
Just recently she has started to go to bed really early so is missing her 8pm tablets coming out of her machine, which then activates the careline who ring us. Anyone experienced anything like this and have any advice ?!

my wife goes to bed about 5.30 pm . sleeps all night . all on my own . till 6 am

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire

we care for my MIL who lives with us if she had her way she would be in bed by 5 but we do our best to keep her up to at least 7.30 the dr laught when we said this as she does not sleep well he gave zopoclone but does not work now tried 2 other meds at different times but now we have just took her off the night med and infact she is sleeping better although it was like teaching a child to go to be the first 2 nights she got up 7 times before we had even gone to bed so it was like putting a toddle to bed eventualy she now only gets up to go loo.but is often up at 6 am which when I am trying to get a lye in at weekends is not fun.
we are incharge of meds she would never take them other wise. also she is begging to forget how to take them I am worried she chokes on them.
not sure what can be done could she not take them earlier?

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
I would contact the GP and explain the situation so that the times of the medication can be changed to fit in with her way of life.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My mother lost the sense of knowing what the time was, so was forever asking me what the time was it.

(Never admitting that she was not understanding the time on the clock)
Even when I put a big round clock right next to where mum sat.

So mum slept when she felt like it woke up when she felt like it.

So I had to do the prompting for her organising medication, food, personal body washing, daycare.

I only understood why it was happening when I found this site its Just one of many symptoms of the disease.

So its good to read that you have a machine, which then activates the careline who ring you.

Last edited:

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
My dad has started going the bed earlier and earlier... he's now in a care home and complains that the staff wake him up to give him his meds... but I think that's only because they don't realise he's in bed already. It makes sense that it's linked to disorientation (time of day), or in my dad's case I've been wondering if his mood is low?

If it's not causing problems or distress, I would try to reorganise medications etc around the changes in routine :)

TDA

Mar 3, 2015
My mum is the same at the moment, recent change of live in carer, then 2 weeks later change again, as things were calm we thought she was settled, but actually I think she has shut down a bit. she has not clicked with the new carer (who's leaving this weekend and another new one) and has spent most of the last week/10 days in bed, sleeping. Day after day, and sleeping at night too.

We are trying to gently engage her in activities, but she's just so sleepy all the time.

Doctor says she's fine, I am assuming its just another stage in this cruel disease

Johnsy1

Feb 12, 2015
My mum has days when she goes to bed 2 or 3 times during the day and then is convinced its another day when she gets up at which point she makes herself 5 slices of toast and jam each time......keeping warburtons in business at the minute.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
I remember my mum was always asleep in the day when we called. She was diagnosed with depression once on anti depressants this did not happen. Early to bed I think is fine as I think mum was mentally exhausted by 7.00.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968