Going quick

pattosnr

Jul 17, 2007
Leeds
My father went into hospital about 8 weeks ago with heart problems, very quickly we noticed his memory was failing and he was becoming more and more confused. We later discovered that he had had a stroke which the doctors though had brought on dementure. He came out of hospital for about a week but suffered another stroke within a fornight. He has been back in hospital for two weeks now and his deteriation is stageringly quick. Within 8 weeks he has gone from been mildly forgetfull but still able to drive over 1200 miles back from spain, to been in the elderly mental health unit unable to remember who anyone is. Anyone else heard of things going this quickly? Or should we be looking elsewhere for answers

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
The same happened to my Dad...from being able to hold relatively normal conversations in April of this year to now not knowing where he is or what he's doing most of the time. He to has had a series of small strokes and was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. It has taken hold very quick and now he is urine incontinent. The brain is slowly dying and each day he is worse.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi pattosnr

Welcome to TP. I'm sorry your dad is going downhill so quickly. I believe this can happen with vascular dementia, as small bleeds destroy areas of the brain. The stroke would have had a massive effect on the brain.

I think you have to accept what has happened, but others may have different advice for you.

Keep posting, you will find lots of support on TP. Let us know how your dad gets on.

All the best,