Going out

griffy

Jan 10, 2014
This may be a long post but would like some advice please as I'm questioning myself as a daughter/carer. Mom lives alone and getting increasingly unable to cope. She always tell the officials everything is fine when they are obviously not. I do all her shopping, a range and take her to appointments and dementia cafe. I also go every morning to set up her dinner in microwave. I have a young family and work at lunchtime and have a busy household. She has a dog which she takes out 2/3 Times a day and she goes to a gym class in the village. A neighbour stopped me today to say she goes down 4/5 Times but doesn't get the time right have suggested I call her when time but she just doesn't get that. The real concern is that she almost got knocked down crossing the road driver had to get out of car and was quite upset. Mother swears blind it never happened. I know people with dementia can't remember but I'm just at a loss what I should do now. Do I stop her going which I don't think she would let me anyway and I don't want to control her. She says she's so tired of trying to get things right. What can I say or do to help her I just feel helpless but this is an accident waiting to happen. Sorry for the rant.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
I do not have experience of a mobile caree. It must be such a worry to you. As you say, it is an accident waiting to happen. As your priority, as you have identified, is to keep her safe. Therefore I do suggest that you get advice as soon as possible from GP and social services. Push that it is personal safety that is at stake. There are various electronic gadgets available but these won't help with crossing the road. It may mean she needs to be accompanied outdoors. Maybe a befriender could take her out. Just ideas as no experience.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Sitting service/befriending service/day care - anything where she is safe from danger and able to keep appointments she wants to keep. It's vital to keep her safe so please get in touch with Social Services and stress that she might be a danger to herself. My OH is usually very careful when crossing the road but the did other things like give cold callers information and answer the door to anyone so I badgered SS until they agreed to Day Care and sitting services - he is now hardly alone anymore and I dread to think how he would survive if he was.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman