1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

Going on holiday

Discussion in 'Recently diagnosed and early stages of dementia' started by Harley Davidson, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Host

Dec 15, 2012
    hi janet m
    as long as your husband has capacity to deal with his affairs he is OK to give you permission to deal with all your joint finances as you always have for any kind of transaction
    eg he may not be sure how to use the computer to do online banking but he can sit with you while you do all the key pressing, you are simply enabling him to manage his money - if the account is joint then you are entitled to manage it yourself anyway
    the LPA only really needs to be registered with the bank when your husband no longer has the capacity to understand how to manage his affairs himself even with your help - then you take over control completely

so I think there's nothing stopping you organising your holiday as you have in the past
  2. Jolean

Jolean Registered User

Oct 16, 2017
    Hello I don't know if this helps or not. My husband has been diagnosed with alzhiemers at age of 59. He was diagnosed august 2017 but I would say he has had this for a couple of years before his diagnosis. We run together a holiday rental company in spain, renting privately owned apartments for holidays. 3 weeks ago I welcomed in to one of our homes a couple that have booked with us many times before. This year welcoming the couple in the wife announced that her husband has now be diagnosed with dementia 3 years ago, she informed me that when she booked the holiday last year she felt she and her husband could easily manage on holiday and did not feel it was necessary for her to tell me about his condition at the time of booking but since she made the booking her husband has come more than a handful
    They arrived in the apartment and I could quite clearly see that her husband was confused of his whereabouts He was walking around the apartment opening and closing doors and showing signs of confusion . Now the last time we rented to a couple and her husband had dementia we found many things broken when they left, one thing being the glass dining table was broken, apparently he fell on it.
    Tonight I received a call from the couple currently renting and she was very upset and informed me that her husband had pulled down the curtains and rail and it was resting on the air conditioning, she said I have managed to keep him away from the curtains but tonight whilst I was in the shower he tried to pull them together as he does in our own home and pulled the complete rail and curtains down on top of him I informed her not to worry and we will repair it no problem I asked her was she having a good holiday she informed me that during her 2 week break her daughter stayed and it was a good help as her husband was not settling that well and he was a handful and it has been hard work for her.
    Now let's go back to last year when they booked she felt then she would be Ok, maybe it might have been better booking closer to her holiday date and then she might have been more familiar with her husband's condition .