Going looking for a care home

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Poppetweb,
Of course you and your mum want the best possible care that you can get for your dad. Will your mum qualify for a council flat, or will she have to use some of the equity to buy one?
What if your dad should live for more than three years, by which time the equity will be nearly gone? Will he then move to a council funded place?
I don't mean to appear negative Poppetweb. The equity sounds a lot of money at present, but it will quickly be swallowed up.
Have you tried talking to the Alzheimers Helpline, they may be able to offer some alternative ideas?
Take care.
Love Helen

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
While I understand your Mother's desire to ensure the best possible care for your father, does it not seem a trifle reckless for her to spend down all their available joint capital, or am I misunderstanding the situation? What will happen if your Mother needs care in the future? I assume the sale of the house will allow her to purchase the flat in question? She's not intending to go into a rental situation? Have you investigated what will happen in the event that all of the capital is used up in nursing home fess? Will the LA kick in anything at that point?

Jennifer
(Sorry for all the questions!)

Having posted this, I then went back and looked at the rest of the post (duh!). Are you certain that the LA will house your mother? Although it varies, many will consider that she has made herself intentionally homeless. I have to say, that based on the number you mentioned, and obviously depending on your Father's likely life expectancy, that this money will be swiftly eaten up.

Last edited:

Poppetweb

We are in a corner now. One gets very little help from the local authority. They advise but at the end of the day you're on your own so to speak.

Because of my dad's violent outbursts, particularly at night, it's necessary to do something within the next few weeks. If it's necessary to pay more to get in quicker, so it has to be.

The future, well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Poppetweb

jenniferpa said:
While I understand your Mother's desire to ensure the best possible care for your father, does it not seem a trifle reckless for her to spend down all their available joint capital, or am I misunderstanding the situation? What will happen if your Mother needs care in the future? I assume the sale of the house will allow her to purchase the flat in question? She's not intending to go into a rental situation? Have you investigated what will happen in the event that all of the capital is used up in nursing home fess? Will the LA kick in anything at that point?

Jennifer
(Sorry for all the questions!)

My father earned the money himself so he is entitled to it when he needs it most. My mother will get a council flat and that doesn't bother her in the least. If my mother needs care in the future she's not going to be dumped in the street. When the money's gone, it's gone, at least he will have had some 'benefit' from it and so will my mother in that she won't get harmed and will be able to get a night's sleep more than once a week.

Money is not important. Your health/health care is and if one can't pay for it after a few years those who work and pay taxes will. At least you've tried to help "yourself".

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
He is going for some respite care - 2 weeks in September.

The home we looked at was excellent and the report indicate the actual care is just as good.
Has this respite care that you talked about before been cancelled? Is this home nolonger suitable?

Please contact your local Alzheimers Society, or the helpline (Tel: 0845 300 0336) and talk over your options.
Helen

Last edited:

Poppetweb

No, at the time of writing the respite care is still available but it is hoped he will be able to go in permanently elsewhere before then. Well, he'll have to as an emergency because there's no other option.

My mother can pay for some care until the house gets sold and then there will be further funds available. She's going to solicitors tomorrow to get the sale in progress.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
So, you have checked that your Mother will be eligible for council rehousing within a reasonable period of time?

Jennifer

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Poppetweb said:
She will, it's the council who's forcing her to do all this!

While I can see that that is what is happening from a practical point of view, the LA are not actually forcing her to sell her house, because legally they can't. It is her choice. I'm sorry to keep harping on about this, but has your Mother had a firm commitment from the LA that they will rehouse her? Not just an assumption that they should, but an actual commitment?

Furthermore, to be blunt, are you (or rather your Mother) prepared for what will happen when the money runs out (say in 3 years). At that point, unless the pair of you are prepared to come up with however much the top up will be at that point, your father will have to be moved.

Jennifer

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well, if you choose to do this, you might want to check the legal position of splitting the funds in half at the time of the sale, so that your father spends down his half more quickly, and then your Mother has the other half to pay the top up fees. In theory, that would mean the LA would start to make a contribution shortly after year 1.

jasperty

Jul 24, 2006
West Midlands
I am really sorry about your Dad and understand the panic you must feel. I might be wrong but I thought once someone had been assessed to need residential or nursing care, you could choose the home yourself and not be forced into LA home and you only had to pay the top up fees i.e. the difference between what the LA figure is, if their savings were below a certain figure. If this is the case surely your mom would better staying in her own home, and just pay the difference after LA contribution and pensions.

Good luck

Pat