going into CH

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
I guess there is an assessment for a care home but what happens then, how quick is it? is there a settling in period? when do I start to pay? I already have a joint bank account with mum, she has no savings. Someone told me you don't pay for 6 weeks until the person is settled. I've hit a brick wall with the social worker but the district nurse is coming tomorrow and I think she'll move things. I have decided that I can't manage any more, I feel I owe some of my time to my 4 daughters and their families, I never have a moment for them.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Yoyo,

If your mum has no savings then her care will be paid for by the local authority. Your mum will have to contribute her pension minus £23.50 a week to cover incidentals like a hair cut or toiletries etc.

You will need the SW involved as they will have to do a financial assessment and put the case to the LA finance panel for approval of funding. It would help if you can get the DN to do a couple of things for you...

1. Read the riot act to the SW and get them urgently involved and

2. Tell the SW that emergency respite care is necessary now as you can no longer cope.

Respite care would mean that she could go into a home immediately whilst all the paperwork catches up and everything is in place for a permanent placement to be approved and funded.

If you know of a home that would suit your mum's needs then fine. If not I would start looking.

As to timing, if emergency respite is deemed necessary, then it could take place the next day or as soon as a bed is found. You might need however need to be prepared for someone maybe suggesting she might be better in an assessment ward in a hospital to see if there is medication perhaps that could help with any behavioural issues.

Don't hold back with the DN and tell how it is on the worst of days. This is about finding the best outcome for both you and your mum don't forget.

Fiona

Last edited:

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
Hiya Yoyo,

If your mum has no savings then her care will be paid for by the local authority. Your mum will have to contribute her pension minus £23.50 a week to cover incidentals like a hair cut or toiletries etc.

You will need the SW involved as they will have to do a financial assessment and put the case to the LA finance panel for approval of funding. It would help if you can get the DN to do a couple of things for you...

1. Read the riot act to the SW and get them urgently involved and

2. Tell the SW that emergency respite care is necessary now as you can no longer cope.

Respite care would mean that she could go into a home immediately whilst all the paperwork catches up and everything is in place for a permanent placement to be approved and funded.

If you know of a home that would suit your mum's needs then fine. If not I would start looking.

As to timing, if emergency respite is deemed necessary, then it could take place the next day or as soon as a bed is found. You might need however need to be prepared for someone maybe suggesting she might be better in an assessment ward in a hospital to see if there is medication perhaps that could help with any behavioural issues.

Don't hold back with the DN and tell how it is on the worst of days. This is about finding the best outcome for both you and your mum don't forget.

Fiona

wow Fiona!! thank you, I will act on this tomorrow. mum has her state pension she is 89. she also has her pension and 2 small ones of dads. do SS take them all? The home we have seen costs 440 pw so I'm not sure - any help would be appreciated - thanks again x

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Yes they will take them all, BUT if mum's total income is more than the cost of the home then I'd talk to the LA about it. They shouldn't make a profit out of your mum if you see what I mean.

Fiona

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Hi, my mum is LA funded. She contributes her state pension ,her pension credit & her late husbands private pension.

She is left with the £23 ish per week pocket money.

Good luck

Lin x

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
Hi, my mum is LA funded. She contributes her state pension ,her pension credit & her late husbands private pension.

She is left with the £23 ish per week pocket money.

Good luck

Lin x

thank you for all the comments, the SW emailed this morning she has been off sick and is really nice. with not hearing from her from last week I though she was giving me the cold shoulder. I have asked her to assess mum with a view to going into a care home and I have booked a week for her so that I can have a break and make decisions with a clear head, will let you know how I go x