• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Going into care

Beverley Judd

New member
Sep 11, 2019
Hi and thanks for letting me join. We live with my mother in law who has Alzheimer’s. I have been caring for her now for 3 years. We live in her house. My husband her son has diabetes and our daughter has learning difficulties, epilepsy and autism I also have copd and depression. Things are getting to the point that we may have to put my mother in law into full time care. She can be violent and has hit and kicked us.
Would they take the house to pay for care if this happens?
I would be grateful for any advice or who to speak to.
Many thanks.


Registered User
Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Beverley Judd, welcome to the forum. I hope you find this a friendly and supportive place.

You will find lots of information, including details on the questions you have raised, in the AS Publication list that you can find with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

If you want to look for local support services in your area you can do a post code check by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Otherwise, do take a good look around the site as there is a lot of information and wisdom here. If you have any specific questions just feel free to start your own thread in this sub-forum https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/


Registered User
Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
By the way, if you feel it would help to talk it through with anyone the experts on the help line can be good, details as follows

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Live on-line advice is also available in the UK and you can see the details of that if you follow this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline/live-online-advice


Registered User
Jan 13, 2019
If a child is living in the house I think you are OK but I could be wrong. You will receive more authoritative answers from others but just to let you know that people here will help in whatever way they can.


Registered User
Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There are various things that can make a property disregarded (not counted in the financial assessment) - usually this is because a spouse is living there, but there are other categories.

from the Alzheimers fact sheet

However, your home will not be taken into account if one of the following people also lives in the property, and will continue to live there after you have moved into a care home:

  • a husband, wife or civil partner
  • a close relative over the age of 60
  • a dependent child
  • a relative who is disabled or incapacitated.
your daughters disability should place you in that last category