Going crazy?

Maxim

Apr 3, 2015
Hello

I am a 45 year old married, qualified sign language interpreting male. For some time now my family have noticed my inability to remember relatively recent significant events in our lives without the aid of photographs/film which I would normally be expected to remember without such aids. It has also become apparent that I have an over reliance upon my sat nav for journeys that I should be familiar with and to locations that I am reliably informed have attended in the past. Initially I put this down to stress and so have taken measures to reduce my stress levels but my very supportive wife still complains that having discussions over relatively recent past shared experiences is becoming exceptionally difficult.

I have had various tests and have drawn a blank. I have however retained the skils of remembering passwords, my own mobile number and security numbers and can still play chess. Therefore without a diagnosis and with certain skills still in place I would like to know if all this is simply an allusion and I am simply going crazy or there is indeed something wrong with me. Therefore I have recent started to keep a diary which seems to collate entries on a daily basis.

The reason for including my profession in my introduction is to highlight the fact that language is my business and without it I am becoming concerned that in the future I won't have a business.

I am very very much aware that there are millions of people worse off than I am to the point that it feels embarrassing and almost egotistical to even be writing this so make of it what you will.

Thank you for your time.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Maxim, you have a concern so don't ever apologise for posting:)

Well, you are doing the right thing by keeping a log. When you say you have had various tests-what were they?. Yes, stress can cause the symptoms that you have described but so can other physical problems; vitamin deficiency and thyroid problems for instance. Depression/anxiety can also be a factor. Has your GP asked to see you for a follow up appointment?

In the meantime keep posting -you will receive a lot of advice and empathy on this Forum

Lyn T

Maxim

Apr 3, 2015
Thanks LYN T

Thanks LYN T

As regards tests-I have been through the quick question and answer tests in the doctor surgery such as; what day of the week is it and who is the current prime minister. I found these to be a waste of time. I have also had an MRI scan.

I keep myself physically fit and mentally I am in a really good place at the moment, very happy which leads me to believe that it's not depression, anxiety etc.

Thanks again

Maxim.

Maxim, you have a concern so don't ever apologise for posting:)

Well, you are doing the right thing by keeping a log. When you say you have had various tests-what were they?. Yes, stress can cause the symptoms that you have described but so can other physical problems; vitamin deficiency and thyroid problems for instance. Depression/anxiety can also be a factor. Has your GP asked to see you for a follow up appointment?

In the meantime keep posting -you will receive a lot of advice and empathy on this Forum

Lyn T

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
The MMSE test is only one indicator when trying to get a diagnosis. Did your GP take blood tests to eliminate a physical reason? If not I urge you to go back to him/her and ask for further investigations.

Take care

Lyn T