Going back to work and feeling nervous

sammyb

Sep 19, 2007
Nottingham
Come Monday I am going to go back to work albeit on a phased basis. I can't believe how nervous I am feeling at the thought of leaving mi laddo although I believe he will be fine without my constant supervision. Probably better without, what he must see as, my constant interference! Reading other people's posts I realise I am extremely lucky. I haven't asked for a huge care package as I will be sorting out his getting up, breakfast, lunch, tea and bedtime. My carers are coming in between those times. We have now met all the carers and he doesn't seem to mind them coming in at all. (I could have been upset yesterday when he looked at me as if to say 'so which carer are you then?!'but I wasn't.) I think the critical thing is our carers work purely with people who have dementia. They are trained for that purpose. Not only will they be doing the things I ask (even to taking the dog a walk!) but have already designed activities which they will try and encourage him to do. They are also very local lasses - one lives just a few roads away from us and that is a real positive for me. I think they are intrigued with mi laddo because he is early onset and possibly quite rapid onset too and already they are talking of him being a little case study because they have never had someone so young. But I am confident that they know what they are doing and that all will be well in my absence - even though I am extremely nervous. I hadn't realised how lucky am I when I see the concerns raised about carers in other people's posts?

Love from Sammyb

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Sammy.

I hope work goes well for you.

I was impressed to hear the carers are `intrigued` by your husband`s early onset. Just that, shows something a little bit special in their interest, and would make me feel more secure about leaving him in their care.

Good luck for Monday on all accounts.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sammy, well done for getting it all sorted out. It sounds as if you have a great lot of carers there, it makes such a difference when they bother to think about stimulation.

Good luck on Monday, I hope it all goes well.

Love,

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear Sammyb,

Being nervous of returning to work is understandable.All kinds of questions running through your head i expect.The carers sound wonderful and i am sure will see that "mi laddo" gets the care he needs and the stimulation too.

I am sure that after a few days you will feel more settled and start to enjoy your work without the niggling worries of whats happening at home.

Good luck and the best to you both.
love elainex

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
It will do you good the outside stimulation,other topics of conversation & other things to think about. Just try not to fret too much about what is going on back home, sounds like you have put him in good hands. :)

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Sammyb

You are soo very lucky to have specially trained dementia carers, hope all goes well for you and mi laddo

Relax and enjoy your first day back at work, you can probably be sure that things will be taken care of when you are not around.

Good Luck
Alfjess

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
yes you are lucky to have specially trained dementia carers pleased
to read that.

seem natural to feel nervous , but from your post you sound very organized so am sure all be OK , sure you wont need it , but wishing you all the best for Monday :)

nickyd

Oct 20, 2007
warwickshire
SammyB,
Wishing you lots of luck for tomorrow, I think it will be good for you. How wonderful your carers sound, especially as they are trained in dementia. Try and enjoy, Love, Nickyxxx:)

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Sammy,
Good luck for Monday. When Peter had his Carers come in first of all and he was only 58, he had a bond with them and boy did they have a good time. Off out here, there and every where. I did organise places for them to visit but after a while they sorted that problem out for me allowing me to have much needed rest.
I wish you all the best. Christine