Going back to what i know

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
Quick update :

I have tried a few other jobs but have decided to go back to what I know : Care.
I am going back to the last home I worked at and where Mum was before I took her out and cared for her at mine 24/7 for 8 months prior to losing her to the awful disease known as Dementia.
I have missed the care sector and maybe ( and yes, I may be mad lol ! ), it's what I am meant to do ?! we'll see........... i'll keep you all posted :D

Vicky
xx

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
You are a very brave lady. Wishing you success in your 'new' venture.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Good for you Vicky - to be able to say at the end of every working day "I made a difference to the lives of all these people" and to do that by choice is lovely. Please do know how much that means to the people you will care for and their families.

A carer at my Mum's home said that the she never thought of the work as 'hard' - as she said "It's what I love doing"

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
Good for you Vicky - to be able to say at the end of every working day "I made a difference to the lives of all these people" and to do that by choice is lovely. Please do know how much that means to the people you will care for and their families.

A carer at my Mum's home said that the she never thought of the work as 'hard' - as she said "It's what I love doing"

That's what it's all about for me Essie, knowing a difference has been made, even just the slightest teeny one

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
If only more carers did the work because they wanted to .

Yes Grannie G, for me it's not just a 'job'......... What I don't get is, if you don't care about what you're doing, then why do it ?! I know for some, it's a means to an end, a 'job' , but the meagre pay is just a very small bonus !

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Yes Grannie G, for me it's not just a 'job'......... What I don't get is, if you don't care about what you're doing, then why do it ?! I know for some, it's a means to an end, a 'job' , but the meagre pay is just a very small bonus !

I have a wonderful relative who has always "cared" one way or another, for friends, family and naturally she was drawn into The Caring profession, terrible teenagers, elderly people...whatever, she really cares. Recently she had a landmark birthday, and over a hundred people who all have cause to love this amazing woman, gathered for a surprise party in her honour. Some people are natural carers, whether paid or simply by nature. Thank you, and all the other wonderful people.:)

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
We have a daughter and granddaughter who both work in care. Our granddaughter was part way through a three year college course when her granddad went into nursing care.

When she gained her qualifications and was applying for jobs which was proving difficult she decided to apply for a vacancy in my husband's nursing home to earn some money until she got the job she wanted. She said it was giving something back for the care my husband was getting.

She has turned out to be a natural carer, she loves her job and wants to now take the exams to give her qualifications. Our daughter, her mother has now also joined the caring profession but out in the community, she has spent all her working life with animals. She too loves her job. Neither of them thought of caring before dementia and the need for care came into our lives.

Our granddaughter works with dementia with challenging behaviour and our daughter cares for people dealing with many different disabilities including dementia. I am very proud of both of them.

Well done VickyG and thank you for caring.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Well done Vicky; I won't wish you good luck as I don't think you will need it.:) However, I give you my thanks that there will be a lovely carer looking after those who need the help. With you setting such a good example to others they will see how caring should be done-if they don't already know.

Please let us know how you get on

Thanks again

Lyn T XX

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
I have a wonderful relative who has always "cared" one way or another, for friends, family and naturally she was drawn into The Caring profession, terrible teenagers, elderly people...whatever, she really cares. Recently she had a landmark birthday, and over a hundred people who all have cause to love this amazing woman, gathered for a surprise party in her honour. Some people are natural carers, whether paid or simply by nature. Thank you, and all the other wonderful people.:)

Wow Rageddy Anne ! She sounds like a wonderful person ! I know there are some brilliant caring people out there :)

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
We have a daughter and granddaughter who both work in care. Our granddaughter was part way through a three year college course when her granddad went into nursing care.

When she gained her qualifications and was applying for jobs which was proving difficult she decided to apply for a vacancy in my husband's nursing home to earn some money until she got the job she wanted. She said it was giving something back for the care my husband was getting.

She has turned out to be a natural carer, she loves her job and wants to now take the exams to give her qualifications. Our daughter, her mother has now also joined the caring profession but out in the community, she has spent all her working life with animals. She too loves her job. Neither of them thought of caring before dementia and the need for care came into our lives.

Our granddaughter works with dementia with challenging behaviour and our daughter cares for people dealing with many different disabilities including dementia. I am very proud of both of them.

Well done VickyG and thank you for caring.

Aww, that's lovely that you have such a caring family ! Tell your granddaughter to go for it and do her exams :)
No need to thank me, I just do what I do, as do a lot of people that can or want to, be it paid or unpaid. Without people that actually care, what would the world be like ?!

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
Well done Vicky; I won't wish you good luck as I don't think you will need it.:) However, I give you my thanks that there will be a lovely carer looking after those who need the help. With you setting such a good example to others they will see how caring should be done-if they don't already know.

Please let us know how you get on

Thanks again

Lyn T XX

Aww, thanks LYN T, very kind words my lovely :) Of course, I will let you know how things go. Hope you are keeping ok.... xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
the meagre pay is just a very small bonus !

I hope it helps Vicky to know those of us who have had experience of wonderful carers working for minimum wages are beating the drum for better pay and conditions all the time.

I had cause to complain of the hospital treatment my husband and we ,as his family , received just before he died.

I asked why so many highly qualified and professional nurses were unable to display the sensitive handing skills I witnessed daily by care home carers , many on minimum wage.

My husband cried out in pain when he was moved in the hospital but had little or no discomfort in his care home.

There was no answer but there were a few red faces.

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
I hope it helps Vicky to know those of us who have had experience of wonderful carers working for minimum wages are beating the drum for better pay and conditions all the time.

I had cause to complain of the hospital treatment my husband and we ,as his family , received just before he died.

I asked why so many highly qualified and professional nurses were unable to display the sensitive handing skills I witnessed daily by care home carers , many on minimum wage.

My husband cried out in pain when he was moved in the hospital but had little or no discomfort in his care home.

There was no answer but there were a few red faces.

It's awful, nurses and HCA's on hospital wards do not have the skills or the time to give to those who have Dementia, it's very sad. It's all about money, that's what it mainly boils down to, that and the fact that SOME people who work in the health sector don't actually flipping care :mad:
I know exactly what you mean about hospital stays..... My Mum spent 4 weeks on a hospital ward, it was horrendous. And she also had to go to A&E twice, absolute nightmare !
I wish there were more resources / money / caring people out there.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Have to say that on every occasion my husband was in hospital last year he was treated kindly, with consideration and courtesy. Maybe because I insisted on staying with him 24/7 dealing with the dementia side of things like his insistence on trying to "dock" the bed on the other side of the ward because the drugs made him feel he was on a boat and taking on most of his personal care. I too was looked after very well. Sorry for anyone who has a less than good memory of a hospital ward.