Going back on Accessment Grading?

Shaky

May 10, 2004
Dudley, West Midlands
My Mom has severe alzeimers even though she is only 62, she has been in a Nursing home now, successfully for some 2 years, when she was accessed back then she was given FULL Health services funding with additional one to one supervision supplement - great Mom was safe and they didn't require additional funding by means of forcing me to selling my Dad's House (Dad died a few years ago).

Mom was pushed over by one of the other residents and unfortunately suffered a fractured hip, which resulted in a partial hip replacement and I'm told by the Doctor a full 10 weeks before being FULLY mobile again. Her current Local authority have wanted to off-load Mom to her latest nursing home GP registered Health or social services people since she has settled in a Nursing home in that area, now they have discovered mom's accident they have stepped up their activities and using this to suddenly want to 'down-grade' Mom's needs and requirements in order to lower her band assessment and make her contribute to the care, is this right and can they force me to sell the house?

It's funny how people want to help and seem concerned then YOU suddenly see the real motivations and concerns !!!!

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
One of the great fears is always that a level of support will be changed for the worse.

In this case, as a lay person, I can see that the funding for one to one might be temporarily removed, since it MAY be that there is less danger of harm while the hip heals.

In actuality, I might doubt that, since the dementia patient often seems impervious to pain [in my wife's case, at least], and so may attempt to move, get out of bed or a chair, and be at risk, at any time.

I can't see how they could justify trying to change a Continuing Care assessment in this case, though I can certainly see that they might really like to. Often it seems as if they are paying out of their own pockets for the care, whereas the patients have been contributing all their lives.

I don't know of the situation regarding the house. I know what applies in my case, but I am the husband, not the son. I'm sure someone will be able to advise you through the forum.

Best wishes

Shaky

May 10, 2004
Dudley, West Midlands
Thanks for your slant on this issue - I really do feel I'm on my own with this problem - I was told I would have Mom's assets 'stripped' when she went it care 2 years ago , so the relief after all the aggrovation has been short lived and were back at square one, fighting to be heard again!!!!!

It does seem ironic that everyone for the past 2-3 years have been repeatedly telling me Mom will never get better only worse and suddenly all the care needs identified then have now become unneccessary, as if she's getting better! (If only this was the case!!!)