GMTV - feature alzheimers

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
GMTV - this morning did - is doing - a major feature on Alzheimer's - motivated by the Johnny Briggs portrayal of Mike Baldwin having the sickness. I think the presenter Fiona has a mum or aunt with Alzheimers and is having problems with the medical support available.

There is information in their web site http://www.gm.tv
There is also and email address and response form where you can tell your story of comment on items in the show - I suppose the more response they get to a certain subject the more the producers will consider doing further 'stories' about it.

I have to say I think the Alzheimer's Society seems to have handled this opportunity to highlight the disease very well indeed. For those people having problems getting the appropriate drugs prescribed and involved with the NICE apparent lack of understanding and compassion this publicity on two major television shows may help to focus attention of those empowered to make decisions. It might be worth telling GMTV what you think -

Michael

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Michael

Thanks for your message

ah well I missed the programmet, but I have sent in a comment covering
  • the fact that the programme can't show the long-term-ness of the dementia, that it can go on for 10-15-20 years and not just end as quickly as drama dictates
  • that the effect on families of younger sufferers is particularly hard where the spouse/carer needs to work and where there is little help available
Too much info they would ignore, so just tried to highlight from my angle and Jan's

Chris

May 20, 2003
Help! Did anyone record this ? i managed to get the last part of the interview with the younger man (58 when dignosed) who has dementia and his son .

I'm so cross I didnt manage to record the interview with Alzheimer's Society earlier in prog and the whole of the latter interview.

Will try harder tomorrow when
17 Fri March schedule...

6.00-7.00am GMTV NEWSHOUR (Subtitled & Widescreen)

Alzheimer's Special - Dr Hilary Jones is live from an Alzheimer's cafe in Nottingham plus relatives of sufferers speak out

7.00-8.35am GMTV TODAY (Subtitled & Widescreen)

Alzheimer's Special -Still live from Nottingham and actress Sally Lyndsay talks about losing her grandfather to the disease
Pick of the Day - Richard Arnold has the best of the weekends television in 'Pick of the Day'

8.35 - 9.25am ENTERTAINMENT TODAY with Ben, Jenny, Michael and Carla
(I'M NOT SURE IF THERE IS AN Alz item in this part programme).
9.25am GMTV ends

AND ALSO LATER IN MONTH * Me and My Mum: Channel 4: 29th March: 9pm
BUT PLEASE CHECK - IT MAY BE 27TH TV often change programme times .
In an intensely moving film Tony Robinson looks at how we care for our parents as they get older. It's a deeply personal issue for Tony, whose 89-year-old mum Phyllis suffers from dementia and lives in a care home.

Tony looks candidly at a concern that will eventually face most of us, but which we prefer not to talk about: the reality of what we should do when our parents can no longer live independently. He explores his relationship with his own children, asking them about their views on his old age in order to examine the decisions he took regarding Phyllis.

Tony also talks to experts, organisations representing the elderly and politicians about the possible solutions. He faces all of this with honesty, wit and a determination to find a solution. And while Tony wonders whether more could be done for his mum, he also appreciates that it may happen to him in time.

Chris

May 20, 2003
Heart goes out

Brucie said:
Hi Michael

[*]the fact that the programme can't show the long-term-ness of the dementia, that it can go on for 10-15-20 years and not just end as quickly as drama dictates
..........Too much info they would ignore,............

Hello Bruce I'm got emotion bursting to come out - "it wasnt like that for Mum" - the person with dementia on TV today & his son will have done an immense service for dementia awareness, the prescribing of drugs issue , more understanding & even donations of money - all brilliant and will have helped so many people now & to come. Thank you more than I can say to them, GMTV and Alzheimer's Society.

BUT - theres a lot of people who will be left frustrated - ITS NOT LIKE THAT FOR US . My Mum was not able to speak from a very early stage - the effects of that are so difficult to convey. I was so envious of the son - able to TALK with his Dad about everything - & everything about dementia too. What a difference that must make - is that partly the Aricept - wish Mum had had it. Best Wishes to everyone , havent posted for a while, now 15 months since Mum passed away. Chris

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Chris, can sympathise - no it is not like that for everyone.

It is however absolutely brilliant that awareness is being raised. No two cases are ever the same. No timespan the same. Early onset - age related , no two people the same.
There must have been lots of carers out there wishing they could have that sort of quality time, but we must be glad for those who can, and carry on the campaign to keep this dreadful desease in the front line

Good to hear from you again, hope you are looking after yourself. Connie

pantherjo

Mar 16, 2006
Nottingham
Gmtv

Hello there new user here,
Have just watched GMTV and feel very down my dad has had alzheimers now for about 4 years and has been in an emi for 16 months, he has very little communication skills, very little concentration level, he has to be dressed washed etc by the carers who can barely speak our language (there are a few exceptions but they are very few and far between). I take my mother and family to visit my dad but this isn't my mums husband this is not my dad and this is not my childrens grandad as we know him, all we have left is the shell which is not how he would like to see himself 8 times out of 10 he wont be wearing his own clothes, unshaved not even the right shoes on. Why wasn't my dad offered any medication that may well have given him a few more years at home, its great for those people that have got the medication and hopefully will make those that suffer in silence aware that there may be hope for a few more years at least.

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
pantherjo hi,

Welcome to the forum - really sorry to hear about your dad - seems to have gone downhill so very quickly. I look at the dirt on my wifes sweater and am shocked and saddened - and berate myself for letting her wear it.... The problem is that you and I have different ideas - standards from the sufferers. I am slightly of the opinion that it is more important that the sufferer should be happy and OK with themselves than we should be trying to make them conform to our own concepts of what is socially correct. Having said that it must be heartbreaking to have to introduce this 'shell' of a person to others - We do not get too many new visitors now but as I rush round trying to be the host I too would like them to know the original wife I had. How ever she enjoys visits and new people a lot so what the hell... feel for you and am glad you have found this site.. I find it really comforting, helpful and imformative..
Michael

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Publicity -

It seems to me we are currently in a situation where all publicity is good - inevitably there are going to be mis-representations by the media of this illness. Inevitably they will not cover the sort of problems which each different suffer has, inevitably they will leave things out - get it wrong but what the hell....

I think anything we can do to keep the publicty ball rolling by contacting and commenting publicly - telling our stories to the media - the more chance we have to make the illness as talked about openly as cancer is...

Michael

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Michael could not find the email address and response on the site , can you please tell me where i could find it on the site .

There is also and email address and response form where you can tell your story of comment on items in the show

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
http://www.gm.tv is the web site of Good Morning Television - You are right Margarita someone has another site of a similar name!

If you scroll down there is a big Contact US button near the bottom.

Regards

Michael