Global atrophy

carolscakes

Dec 29, 2015
Hi.first time on here for me.my oh has been signed off work for 6mths now due to him having blank moments or siesures.after lots of tests the consultant has said he has global atrophy and also has had absent and epileptic siesures.he has been referred now to memory clinic as he has some confusion and has got lost a couple of times in the simplist places but they havent said the word dementia as yet.anyone have any ideas about this please.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"global atrophy" (of the brain) means that multiple areas of the brain are dying and not functioning correctly. No real difference from dementia.

Is this diagnosis made solely from observation of symptoms or as a result of a brain scan?

Attendance at a memory clinic will mean that tests are made, maybe including a scan, in an attempt to diagnose the problem and determine a course of treatment.

I have assumed that blood tests have been made to rule out various conditions that are easily controlled by medication.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Hi carol, welcome to TP
As Nitram says it is in all but name, similar to dementia and you will find lots of support on here.
The memory clinic will be able to give you more info but sometimes they are a bit rushed - so I would suggest going armed with a list of questions and keep going until you've asked them all - don't be distracted or thrown out too quickly lol