Giving up work to care

scousemouse9536

Oct 29, 2013
Hi

Does anyone know if I can get any financial help if I choose to give up work to take care of my mum who has early stage Alzheimer's? I have savings which are over the threshold and I live with my partner who owns his own home with no mortgage. I don't think I qualify other than for National Insurance top ups but I think I've read somewhere about exceptions for caring for someone with Alzheimer's. Can anyone she'd any light. I don't necessarily want to spend all of my savings on my living expenses but if needs must I suppose I'll have to.

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
Hi Scousemouse I gave up work to look after Mum but no savings so qualified for carers allowance and NI contributions. Also look at whether Mum may get Attendance Allowance which may help with costs etc :D

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Hi

Does anyone know if I can get any financial help if I choose to give up work to take care of my mum who has early stage Alzheimer's? I have savings which are over the threshold and I live with my partner who owns his own home with no mortgage. I don't think I qualify other than for National Insurance top ups but I think I've read somewhere about exceptions for caring for someone with Alzheimer's. Can anyone she'd any light. I don't necessarily want to spend all of my savings on my living expenses but if needs must I suppose I'll have to.

not sure, could be wrong, but I've been told carers allowance is based on what the 'patient' needs. I rent my home, mum moved in with me. I got the CAB to help me make claims etc. I have given up most of my work, but don't know the decision on carers allowance yet, one thing I do know, its not means tested. talk to CAB.

scousemouse9536

Oct 29, 2013
Hi Scousemouse I gave up work to look after Mum but no savings so qualified for carers allowance and NI contributions. Also look at whether Mum may get Attendance Allowance which may help with costs etc :D

Hi Merrymaid

Thanks, my mum has qualified for attendance allowance at the lower rate which will help. Is Carers allowance means tested? Age UK helped with the AA application, it's provably a good idea for to contact them for advise as they were great last time. Personal experience is invaluable though.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hi Merrymaid

Thanks, my mum has qualified for attendance allowance at the lower rate which will help. Is Carers allowance means tested? Age UK helped with the AA application, it's provably a good idea for to contact them for advise as they were great last time. Personal experience is invaluable though.

You are not allowed to earn more than £100 a week but they won't look into your savings etc.

scousemouse9536

Oct 29, 2013
not sure, could be wrong, but I've been told carers allowance is based on what the 'patient' needs. I rent my home, mum moved in with me. I got the CAB to help me make claims etc. I have given up most of my work, but don't know the decision on carers allowance yet, one thing I do know, its not means tested. talk to CAB.

Thanks for your reply Tin.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I've literally just given up yesterday, so won't be earning anything in the near future, just living off savings for now.

my savings have taken quite a bash, but mum does have a private pension, its only small, but it helps and she does want to be involved with living costs, as muggled as she is. it is hard, I gave up most of my outside work about 2 months ago. i'm very careful with money, my upbringing I guess. I have created a small part time, at home job, can you believe I take in a small amount of ironing! it helps.

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
GAVE up work to care....

Hi Scousemouse

I gave up work to look are for mum, i took her out of her residential 'care' home :/ and she lives here with me and my family. Initially, i didn't qualify for CA as mum wasn't in receipt of AA ! ( The person you are caring for, as far as i can remember, has to be in receipt of either DA or AA or some kind of benefit ? ) even though i care for mum 24/7 ! Once i made the AA application, and mum was awarded it, i could then again apply for the CA. It was all backdated to the claim date i first tried to claim.
It's not a great amount, ( the CA ) but worth having, as you do still get your NI contributions.
Good luck, and try doing the application on line, i found it really quite easy, you do need NI numbers to hand and any recent earnings / former employer info as well as your bank account details.
Oh and savings etc don't come into it as far as i can remember.

Last edited:

scousemouse9536

Oct 29, 2013
Hi Scousemouse

I gave up work to look are for mum, i took her out of her residential 'care' home :/ and she lives here with me and my family. Initially, i didn't qualify for CA as mum wasn't in receipt of AA ! ( The person you are caring for, as far as i can remember, has to be in receipt of either DA or AA or some kind of benefit ? ) even though i care for mum 24/7 ! Once i made the AA application, and mum was awarded it, i could then again apply for the CA. It was all backdated to the claim date i first tried to claim.
It's not a great amount, ( the CA ) but worth having, as you do still get your NI contributions.
Good luck, and try doing the application on line, i found it really quite easy, you do need NI numbers to hand and any recent earnings / former employer info as well as your bank account details.
Oh and savings etc don't come into it as far as i can remember.

Hi

Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful. It's all a bit of a steep learning curve!

scousemouse9536

Oct 29, 2013
I think you can get the Carer's Allowance topped up with Income Support if you are not earning anything, but you will need to claim it. You have to be caring for someone for at least 35 hours per week.

Hi Lexy

Does the above apply if I have savings would you know?

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi scousemouse, Tin and everyone else :)

I too have mainly given up work to care - like Tin I just do a small amount from home. I have to say that the financial effect is one thing, but long term I am finding the effect on my self esteem and general mood is at least as important. I'm aiming now to try and build in some regular activities such as voluntary work, that will keep me in touch with the world!

Anyway, I think the Carers UK site is brilliant. It may also be possible to get a council tax discount - every little helps! See this:

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/help-council-tax

All the best :)

Lindy xx

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
Hi

Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful. It's all a bit of a steep learning curve!

No problem, and yep, when mum was first diagnosed, there wasn't half the info available there is now.
Don't think we ever stop learning. Think I've been quite fortunate ( or not ?!) having had quite a few years experience in Dementia care. Each day throws up a new challenge, we just have to go with it i'm afraid. Oh and have a sense of humor, it helps :D

scousemouse9536

Oct 29, 2013
No problem, and yep, when mum was first diagnosed, there wasn't half the info available there is now.
Don't think we ever stop learning. Think I've been quite fortunate ( or not ?!) having had quite a few years experience in Dementia care. Each day throws up a new challenge, we just have to go with it i'm afraid. Oh and have a sense of humor, it helps :D

Thanks. That's one thing we're blessed with being from Liverpool, we laugh about things constantly! It's a good way to cope. I don't know where we'd be without the internet, the forum is a great way to get information and you can't beat people's personal experience.

scousemouse9536

Oct 29, 2013
Hi scousemouse, Tin and everyone else :)

I too have mainly given up work to care - like Tin I just do a small amount from home. I have to say that the financial effect is one thing, but long term I am finding the effect on my self esteem and general mood is at least as important. I'm aiming now to try and build in some regular activities such as voluntary work, that will keep me in touch with the world!

Anyway, I think the Carers UK site is brilliant. It may also be possible to get a council tax discount - every little helps! See this:

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/help-council-tax

All the best :)

Lindy xx

Thanks Lindy, I'll take a look xx

MLM

Jun 17, 2014
Manchester
Your local authority will have a welfare rights team who can advise you as well. Sometimes CAB is faster, sometimes the LA team is faster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy