Giving covert sedative

LHS

Oct 5, 2018
My mum is spending many hours a day very upset and anxious. She still lives alone at home and currently has lunch support visiting. She is very defiant about her condition and resents having any kind of support. She also refuses to take any medicines as she believes all medicine is poison. I have the health power of attorney but mum has not yet been deemed to have lost mental capacity. Can i sanction the giving of a mild sedative covertly in conjunction with health/social care professionals at this stage?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Can i sanction the giving of a mild sedative covertly in conjunction with health/social care professionals at this stage?

I think you should discuss this with your mum`s doctor. Even if your mum is deemed to have capacity you have health and welfare LPA so I`m sure your mum`s doctor will give you advice while taking into consideration her best interests.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think you should discuss this with your mum`s doctor. Even if your mum is deemed to have capacity you have health and welfare LPA so I`m sure your mum`s doctor will give you advice while taking into consideration her best interests.

I agree with this approach
I ignored the strict legalities and liaised with the GP to make sure that all medication was either crushable or in liquid form. One was changed to crushable.