given with one hand taken back with other

thompsonsom

Jul 4, 2004
halifax
Hi all

Today i am fed up as it just seems that you are constantly battling with the authorities and what little money or relief you are given is taken back in another way.

We were advised by the local carers society to put in a claim for council tax rebate and had to send off a form with a copy of the letter showing mum received full attendance allowance. Today i got a phone call advising that has mum has now moved in with us and no longer paying rent, council tax etc... and is receipt of attendance allowance the council may charge us for daycare. How can you be assessed by social services as not having to contribute toward respite etc... but then told by local council you will have to probably pay for day care. It just seems the government give you the money with one hand and then take it back with the other and the carer gets a poxy £44 and supposed to manage on this.
1 step forward two steps back!!!!!!!!!!

jan

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Jan, I may be wrong, but I thought day care was means tested the same as respite care. If your Mum has less than about £19,000 I was under the impression she got it paid for by SS. Anyone else know for sure? Love She. XX

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Actually, thinking again, I think it's more like £40 to £50 thou. because it's £19 thou.when they go into a home, but she's not she's living with you, sorry, misread. Love She. XX

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Dear Jan

I think the amount of savings investments etc. is, above £20.000 you pay full amount for daycare. Paying less on a sliding scale down to I think £12,000 when the SS pays the lot.

BUT Income is also taken into account and things like Rent, Mortage, Council Tax, Living allowance etc. are deducted and what is left is known as disposable income which is taken into account when assessing the amount you pay towards day care. If your mum is not now paying rent or council tax she may come into the bracket that has to pay towards any care provided.

This is all from memory but you can get information leaflets from the SS explaining the system. In fact if your mum has been assessed already, you or she will probably have the relevant fact sheets. But as her circumstances have changed so will her assessment.

It is all very unsatisfactory from the point of view of the carer who does't seem to be considered at all in any of this. However you can ask for a carer's assessment, and depending on your financial position may be able to get some help paid for.

Don't be afraid to ask.

Best of luck

Barraf