Given up job to care for mum-any financial advice/suggestions please?

Gladis

Mar 13, 2015
Hello, My sister has given up her job to take up the lion share of caring for our mum who has alzheimers. She has some savings but no property (she was saving up to buy a flat as she currently rents). Apart from attendance allowance, she has been told that she is not entitled to any other financial help as she has the savings.
Any comments/advice gratefully received!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If she is caring for more than 35 hours a week and has no other income over £102 a week, she is eligible for Carers Allowance of 61.35 a week. Not much but it helps. Mine was granted within 9 days.
She isn't entitled to Attendance Allowance btw - that's her mother's entitlement.
But yes - if you have savings over a certain amount, you are not eligible for benefits.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Has an application been made for council tax reduction for your mother? That should save a bit on the household expenses.

I would recommend that your sister keeps her finances very separate from her mother's and that utility bills, house insurance, household repair bills etc continue to be paid from your mother's account. Your sister could pay an agreed contribution into mum's account every month to cover her 'share' of the bills if appropriate. Then you will have clear records should they be needed in the future for LA financial assessment.

Does someone have Power of Attorney? If not that should a priority to get organised.

Gladis

Mar 13, 2015
If she is caring for more than 35 hours a week and has no other income over £102 a week, she is eligible for Carers Allowance of 61.35 a week. Not much but it helps. Mine was granted within 9 days.
She isn't entitled to Attendance Allowance btw - that's her mother's entitlement.
But yes - if you have savings over a certain amount, you are not eligible for benefits.

Many thanks for that Beate!
It seems unfair to me that if my sister had a house (instead of savings) she could be entitled to benefits.
All the best

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Many thanks for that Beate!
It seems unfair to me that if my sister had a house (instead of savings) she could be entitled to benefits.
All the best

It's you mother's saving that count not your sisters. Some of the benefits your Mother may be entitled to will be means tested, if you do claim attendance allowance what's to stop that being passed straight to your sister combined with carer's allowance it's not a fortune but it's something.
K

Gladis

Mar 13, 2015
Has an application been made for council tax reduction for your mother? That should save a bit on the household expenses.

I would recommend that your sister keeps her finances very separate from her mother's and that utility bills, house insurance, household repair bills etc continue to be paid from your mother's account. Your sister could pay an agreed contribution into mum's account every month to cover her 'share' of the bills if appropriate. Then you will have clear records should they be needed in the future for LA financial assessment.

Does someone have Power of Attorney? If not that should a priority to get organised.

Thanks for that.
Yes both she and I have Power of Attorney. We have applied for council tax reduction. My sister is trying to keep hold of her rented flat which she 'escapes' to from time to time (which is of course another expense!)
We don't begrudge spending any money on mum at all, its just trying to make ends meet!
Best wishes

Gladis

Mar 13, 2015
It's you mother's saving that count not your sisters. Some of the benefits your Mother may be entitled to will be means tested, if you do claim attendance allowance what's to stop that being passed straight to your sister combined with carer's allowance it's not a fortune but it's something.
K

Thanks K, I think we should re look at that. We were using the Attendance Allowance as a sort of a financial cushion should she over spend on her account (she used to become over drawn sometimes due to buying things she'd forgotten she'd bought already). We are trying to keep an eye on her expenditure without undermining her confidence-its a fine line!
Thanks again