Giggling

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Hi. The last few times I have been to see Mom, she keeps giggling at us. The carers say she giggles at them as well. I am not sure to make of this. It is very strange but chuckles away. Anyone else had this?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum seems to giggle a lot more these days at the oddest things, in fact we are sitting here watching tv and shes giggling. Nothing funny is being said or done. A bit inappropriate too, but she giggles at people when we are out.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi. The last few times I have been to see Mom, she keeps giggling at us. The carers say she giggles at them as well. I am not sure to make of this. It is very strange but chuckles away. Anyone else had this?

Its called emotional lability, Wendy. People with this often cry for no reason too. Its a symptom of dementia (among other things) Im afraid, though not a common one.
I thought this site looked helpful

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-emotional-lability.htm

Miss Dew

Aug 5, 2015
Wiltshire

my Mum giggles a lot, she wakes in the morning chuckling away to herself. I am delighted for her that her mood is so buoyant and she is enjoying her self so much it overflows with giggles and smiles .

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Its called emotional lability, Wendy. People with this often cry for no reason too. Its a symptom of dementia (among other things) Im afraid, though not a common one.
I thought this site looked helpful

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-emotional-lability.htm

Thank you for that. Very interesting. Its just very odd sat talking to my Mom and she giggles. Glad its giggling rather than crying.

lavenderblue

Nov 2, 2014
UK
Stroke patients may also experience PBA. My father suffered a severe stroke several years before he died which left him considerably disabled and with virtually no speech. Post-stroke, he was prone to involuntary episodes of laughter which were not related to amusing situations or necessarily a reflection of his mood, and were sometimes triggered by embarrassment or frustration.

There's more information here:

http://www.pbainfo.org/science

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
I'm happy any time my dad isn't crying. It's lovely to see him laughing or giggling, however inappropriate it is. He isn't often happy these days. Poor old ******.

LS

Kijo

Feb 9, 2014
My OH will often have small laughs throughout the day for no reason that I can see. Occassionally I will ask him what he is thinking about that makes him laugh, but he never has an answer; it is like he doesn't realize he laughed out loud.
His response at some situations can drive me crazy because he will giggle or laugh at what I think are serious situations - it's like his response meter is mixed up. He knows it is not funny, but still has a laugh anyway.
Thank you for providing links re: PBA, it helps to understand these oddities.

Elorac13

Feb 16, 2023
Same here, my OH can constantly giggle at anything and at any time (home, out shopping or just out walking). He can also have the crying at the TV but says oh no my eyes are leaking again. It is hard to get used to tbh but at least he seems happy and it's his reality.