1. Wendy C

Wendy C Registered User

Jan 29, 2012
    West Midlands
    Hi. The last few times I have been to see Mom, she keeps giggling at us. The carers say she giggles at them as well. I am not sure to make of this. It is very strange but chuckles away. Anyone else had this?

2. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    My mum seems to giggle a lot more these days at the oddest things, in fact we are sitting here watching tv and shes giggling. Nothing funny is being said or done. A bit inappropriate too, but she giggles at people when we are out.

3. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Its called emotional lability, Wendy. People with this often cry for no reason too. Its a symptom of dementia (among other things) Im afraid, though not a common one.
    I thought this site looked helpful

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-emotional-lability.htm

4. Miss Dew

Miss Dew Registered User

Aug 5, 2015
    Wiltshire
    my Mum giggles a lot, she wakes in the morning chuckling away to herself. I am delighted for her that her mood is so buoyant and she is enjoying her self so much it overflows with giggles and smiles .

5. Wendy C

Wendy C Registered User

Jan 29, 2012
    West Midlands
    Thank you for that. Very interesting. Its just very odd sat talking to my Mom and she giggles. Glad its giggling rather than crying.

6. Wendy C

Wendy C Registered User

Jan 29, 2012
    West Midlands
    What strange symptoms we are experiencing with this disease.

7. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Registered User

Nov 2, 2014
    UK
  8. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Registered User

Nov 2, 2014
    UK
    Stroke patients may also experience PBA. My father suffered a severe stroke several years before he died which left him considerably disabled and with virtually no speech. Post-stroke, he was prone to involuntary episodes of laughter which were not related to amusing situations or necessarily a reflection of his mood, and were sometimes triggered by embarrassment or frustration.

There's more information here:

http://www.pbainfo.org/science

9. Long-Suffering

Long-Suffering Registered User

Jul 6, 2015
    I'm happy any time my dad isn't crying. It's lovely to see him laughing or giggling, however inappropriate it is. He isn't often happy these days. Poor old ******.

LS

10. Kijo

Kijo Registered User

Feb 9, 2014
    My OH will often have small laughs throughout the day for no reason that I can see. Occassionally I will ask him what he is thinking about that makes him laugh, but he never has an answer; it is like he doesn't realize he laughed out loud.
    His response at some situations can drive me crazy because he will giggle or laugh at what I think are serious situations - it's like his response meter is mixed up. He knows it is not funny, but still has a laugh anyway.
    Thank you for providing links re: PBA, it helps to understand these oddities.

11. 1954

1954 Registered User

Jan 3, 2013
    Sidcup
    My MIL giggles loads of times during the night! We hear it on the baby monitor