'Gifting'

Tony Heare

Sep 13, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Hi everyone, me again. Just picking everyone's brains once more about the gifting of monies.

I have been in touch with the Guardianship office in London re the above and they have told me to put my request to them in writing, when it will be considered. Is there anyone who has ever done this sort of thing before and if so, could they please give me any relevant information about the wording of my letter, etc.

Thanks again for all your support and I wish you all the best in your individual situations.

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
I approached the guardianship office about gifting a year ago. I listed for the whole year gifts I wanted to make. Monthly pocket money for my son, her only grandson (Mum lived with us until she moved into care), 'presents' of about £10.00 a time for good report, passing swim tests, stars at school, birthday and Christmas gifts for myself my husdand and son, and an amout for wedding presents etc. It totalled to just about £600 for the year, in fact they awarded £652 - why the odd amount I don't know. All purchases are made through the receivers bank account and I pay cheques into my son's building society book for the pocket money and 'presents'. Most of it is going to Chris she doted on him and I think it onle right her money should be used as she used to use it.

regards
Geraldine

Tony Heare

Sep 13, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Thank you Geraldine for your time and details.

I'm in a similar situation, whereby my mother absolutely idolised my son and I want to keep showing that love as best I can, even if it can only be monetary.

My dad died last Xmas and I'm an only child, so all this has now fallen on my shoulders and I don't want to do anything 'illegal', if you like, but at the same time it would be nice to be able to get what's available.

My dad's house has just sold for £82,500 and it looks as though the local authority will be asking for their share to cover my mother's care home fees. Unfair or what!!!!

Still, on we go. Thanks again and all the best to you.

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
I'm in a similar situation, only child, dad died a few years ago, I only have one son. Difference with me is that we sold both our houses and jointly bought a bigger one 9 years ago before Mum became ill, everything I've read says that where a property is in joint ownership Mum's share is could be counted as nil becuase in effect it has no resale value,because of course I won't be rushing to by it. So as Mum's capital is now just under 20K , the SS steps in and I will just thrust all the various advice sheets at them that re-inforce this. I found advice sheets from Help the Aged and Age Concern, all on their websites extremely helpful. I am sure there are also 'insurance policies' you can even get at this late stage to help protect income - ask at your Mum's home ar from Age Concern or financial advsier etc

Geraldine