Gifting money from mums account.

Megan1

Aug 19, 2022
I have just been made deputy by the Court of Protection team, I'm probably wording this wrong, for my mum in law.
My husband was caring for his mum who has dementia, he died very suddenly leaving me and my daughter 27 to look after his mum and her affairs. It's taken a year to get COP as there was no LPA in place. There have been times when I felt so overwhelmed with paperwork endless phone calls etc. She's in a care home. I was told by the people at the office of the public guardian that I could buy gifts for her family for Christmas birthdays etc so long as it didn't deprive her. My daughter is her only grand child and she never gave gifts to her nieces and nephews.
I have discussed this with my daughter, we have made a decision not to take gifts from my mum in law as it doesn't feel morally right, she doesn't know who we are anymore and it would feel like we are helping ourselves. My mum in law was very generous to us in times gone by, but that's gone now. The best gift would be to find a cure for this cruel illness and to have my husband back.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Megan1.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's passing. It must be heartbreaking for you. I found this line from your post especially poignant -

The best gift would be to find a cure for this cruel illness and to have my husband back.

I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and wishing you strength. You will get lots of understanding and support here.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Whether or not you can give gifts on behalf of MiL will be down to what assets/savings she has.
If she is self-funding, and unlikely to run out of money in her life-time, then gifts can be given at any reasonable size, that will not leave her short of funds.
However if her Care Home is paid for (even in part) by the Local Authority then gifts must be no larger than she would of habitually given, and can currently be afforded. Beware of "Deprivation of Assets" this is where the LA belive money has been hidden or used wrongly.
The Deputyship that you have got, does require you to account for her assets.

Bod

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1