Gifting money for a Wedding

ZivasMum

Mar 14, 2019
Hi All

I am the Attorney for Finance and Property and full time carer for my Life Partner. We are not married but share a house as ‘tenants in common’. His eldest daughter is also an Attorney. She is getting married later this year and has asked me to agree to gift her £5k towards the wedding from my Partner’s savings.

There is a precedent in that before my Partner was showing any symptoms, and before the LPA was put in place in 2016, he gifted £5k to his youngest daughter as a contribution towards for her wedding (in several chunks across two tax years). His cognitive ability has since declined but I believe it is fair to match the figure providing it is indeed spent on a wedding.

The issue I have is that in previous conversations with his eldest daughter about her wedding she has talked about a ‘low key’ affair, such as a civil ceremony attended only by witnesses and followed by a small celebratory lunch. This is hardly likely to cost £5k. My understanding is that as an Attorney she is not allowed to personally benefit from her position. Would pocketing the unspent balance count?

The added complication is that, for other reasons, my relationship with his eldest has deteriorated, so any attempt to request proof that the money was spent on a wedding, such as invoices or receipts, will have consequences.

Anyone have any advice or pointers to where I can seek advice.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I think it’s up to her what she spends the £5k on. I’d honour the precedent & gift the £5k.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think it’s up to her what she spends the £5k on. I’d honour the precedent & gift the £5k.

To keep things 'fair' I think I would too, dependant on his financial situation providing for such.

I might make a lesser gift if his income has changed significantly since the first gift.

It's a tough decision though.and is going to do little for your relations with her. She shouldnt benefit from his monies as an attorney, (maybe that needs to be reiterated to her) so maybe ''meeting costs'' would be a better option.

I trust he will be there? ( that to me would change things)