Getting up in the morning

Acorn

Nov 28, 2012
My wife of 83 has early to mid stage Alzheimer’s and a multi-drug resistant UTI, which is not being treated until stents in one of her ureters are removed in the New Year.
For the last couple of weeks, on some days, she’s been very reluctant to get up – for breakfast/carer. And always, after breakfast, she falls sound asleep in her chair, as if breakfast has been quite exhausting.
This morning, she’s more or less refused to get washed and dressed, saying she just wants to go back to bed and sleep. As it’s a Saturday, and therefore no carer and more freedom to experiment, I’ve given her her head, and let her go back to bed. (She got up all right for breakfast.)
And she’s just (after about an hour) asked for the toilet, agreed that it would be a good idea to get up, but insisted on going back to bed.
This feels like the beginning of a slippery slope to becoming bedridden. Should I be worried? Forcing her to do something against an adamant refusal has not been part of our relationship, and I doubt if I could carry it off.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
It felt like that for me, too, in the beginning of my hubby's strange sleeping patterns. They've got even weirder, since. I wouldn't worry too much, Acorn. Nice to know you have people popping in to help care for your loved one. You and they together can keep an eye out for anything needed.

Are you covered for care over the holiday's, or on your own for a few days? Keep popping back if you need any advice, or loving support. There's so much of that on here.

Love and hugs to you, xx

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hello Acom some days my husband just wants to lie in bed and sleep, I just let him, I don't see any harm,he usually gets up at dinner time but sometimes has a lie down later as well, he is a very poor sleeper during the night anyway,
On the days that he is at the day centre the carer comes in and he gets up and ready,

Your wife is probably just really tired and there doesn't seem any point in keeping her awake if she wants to sleep. If you are worried you could get a appointment at the doctors and make sure she hasn't any infection or anything, Sorry I just read the UTI bit that is enough to make anyone tired,

Best wishes Jeany x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Like others my husband sleeps a lot too. I let him sleep until 12.10 today as we are going out later. He's had lunch/breakfast and now he's sitting in his chair sound asleep again. I'm happy to let him sleep in the hope that he'll be a bit alert later on. He's always sleepy but when he has a UTI he's even more sleepy.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH sleeps a lot, but so far, gets up in the mornings. He often goes to bed at 15:00 and stays until 07:00 next day, 08:00 if weekend. When I eventually got him up, showered, breakfasted this morning it was 12:00! Suggested we go out for a coffee to which he agreed. We went to a nearby seaside town, as I thought the waves would be up as it's very windy here today. They weren't! So drove on through the town looking for somewhere to park when happened to pass the local chippy ( very famous, painted blue for those of you who know the east) and a parking space. Also ....no queue. So, bought fish and chips, sat in the car looking at the sea and the river eating them. Not what I expected to be doing!
And now.....he's asleep again!

Acorn

Nov 28, 2012
Many thanks for all the reassurance. My wife got up for lunch and then got washed and dressed – just as you’d suggested! She does have reason to be tired – we’ve had a fairly busy couple of weeks and, although she sleeps well, nights are disturbed for continence reasons – and last night wasn’t particularly good. I’ll play tomorrow morning like this morning. And then on Monday, there is a carer again – we’ll see what happens then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar