Getting the story wrong

Freojan

Feb 25, 2015
For some time - 2 years - my husband has feared he may have dementia as he forgets things. He's seen our GP twice and passed tests easily and been sent away. I think he just doesn't listen. During this last week my husband has totally muddled 2 things I told him. A story about a friend finding his mother dead came back as the friend's wife had committed suicide. This was about 5 minutes after my telling him of the death. Yesterday he took some photographs for me. I asked him to make sure that X was not in the photograph. He returned with 2 photos and X was central in both. My husband said he had checked twice with me that I wanted X in the photograph. He had not checked with me at all. Everyone says I have a memory like an elephant so I know I'm not messing up. Is this dementia please?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Freojan

Welcome to Talking Point.

No one can make a diagnosis for you on line but there does sound to be some problem with your husband`s behaviours and he really should seek medical advice.

There could be different diagnoses other than dementia so please do not jump to conclusions without seeking advice first.

This does not mean you should not continue to seek support from the Forum. Please post your concerns and the medical findings and let the strength of the Forum help both you and your husband as much as it can.

Freojan

Feb 25, 2015
Welcome to Talking Point.

No one can make a diagnosis for you on line but there does sound to be some problem with your husband`s behaviours and he really should seek medical advice.

There could be different diagnoses other than dementia so please do not jump to conclusions without seeking advice first.

This does not mean you should not continue to seek support from the Forum. Please post your concerns and the medical findings and let the strength of the Forum help both you and your husband as much as it can.

Thank you for replying. My husband has an appointment with his GP next week and would like me to go with him. I'm sure he's very concerned but not a man to show emotions so I never know. He's not a worrier like I am and I am very concerned but we shall see. I will post the result whatever it is. Again Thank you. It was kind of you to take the trouble.

Freojan

Feb 25, 2015
We visited our GP today and will be referred to the memory clinic. It was a very good consultation where we were listened to and discussed the various issues. The GP decided that it was the correct course of action to be referred. We were advised that we should have an appointment within three weeks.

stargirl

Sep 16, 2013
Good luck with your appointment - it's good to be in the system and ruling things out.
It sounds like it might be helpful for you to start keeping a log of these mistakes or any other odd behaviours you notice, so you/your husband can accurately relate them to the clinic. It's easy when used to dismissing these things as nothing to put them out of your mind, but they might be diagnostically relevant.
Best of luck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN