Getting rid of urine smells

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
Got the Dettol laundry product in Tesco tonight, on special down from £4.50 to £3, result, lol, xx

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Thanks for this lovelies. I came on here tonight looking for what to do about urine smells because MIL's house smelled terribly ripe today, particularly round her chair. Wee Away and Dettol Laundry liquid. Brilliant. Thank you. xx

SarahN

Nov 11, 2015
East Lothian
Dusty at commented on the tumble dryeR .. That's my problem -was in a hurry so stuff shoved from washer into dryer before I had time to smell .. Now my whole kitchen reeks... Have tried Febreeze in dryer but no luck ... Any ideas .. Please ! :eek::eek:

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Mum is in hospital, urine incontinent, whilst I was ironing her clean nighties I still got a 'whiff', they had been washed at 40degrees, threw them back in the machine and washed them again at 50. Is washing enough or should I be soaking them first ie like nappies? And, if so, what in? TIA, xx
Hi I use evans odour neutraliser it's very good for fabrics, carpets etc the only thing is I'm not sure where you can buy it my brother gets mine from an hospital supplies warehouse as he is in the trade..but you could Google it xx

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I think the problem is when the urine has been exposed to the air and dried, because the bacteria have then had time to create that awful pong -- no way round that if you're bringing items from hospital though.
I always put my OH's wet things straight into the washing machine, with non- bio powder at 40° and have never had any problems.
And I do have a very good sense of smell!

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
I think the problem is when the urine has been exposed to the air and dried, because the bacteria have then had time to create that awful pong -- no way round that if you're bringing items from hospital though.
I always put my OH's wet things straight into the washing machine, with non- bio powder at 40° and have never had any problems.
And I do have a very good sense of smell!

Hi sleepless.. Yes I agree but I used the neutraliser on dad's bedroom carpet and the landing carpet and it worked and the pleasant fragrance lasts for quite some time I will ask him the name of the company that supply it xx

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Hi sleepless.. Yes I agree but I used the neutraliser on dad's bedroom carpet and the landing carpet and it worked and the pleasant fragrance lasts for quite some time I will ask him the name of the company that supply it xx

That would be good to know, useful stuff to have in for carpets etc. or maybe even shoes, which are a pain to clean if they get wet inside?

Ps just googled and there are several places that supply it online.

Last edited:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Dusty at commented on the tumble dryeR .. That's my problem -was in a hurry so stuff shoved from washer into dryer before I had time to smell .. Now my whole kitchen reeks... Have tried Febreeze in dryer but no luck ... Any ideas .. Please ! :eek::eek:

Is the smell actually in the dryer? Have you emptied and washed the lint catcher. If your dryer has a water/moisture tray then take out and wash or soak in bicarbonate. What might also help is to soak a towel in bicarbonate give it a short spin and then put in the dryer and if detachable, might as well do same with the rubber pipe.

Biggest Fairy

Jan 26, 2015
Inverness
I was buying the Dettol laundry cleanser. It's AMAZING! Then it seemed to disappear from our local supermarkets. Every time I ordered it for home delivery I received 2 Dettol surface spray cleaners instead. If Armageddon arrives, I'll be the one who is fully loaded with anti-bac cleanser. You'll see me wandering about like a gun slinger, a spray in each hand.

:D

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
A towel soaked in vinegar dried in the tumble drier then taken out and the door left open for the vinegar smell to go,

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I bought the dettol stuff for a while when I was washing William's things, but it's a ridiculous price here. I started using Zoflora disinfectant concentrate instead. I also used it for cleaning the floors etc. Lovely smell - not a bit disinfectant-y.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I was buying the Dettol laundry cleanser. It's AMAZING! Then it seemed to disappear from our local supermarkets. Every time I ordered it for home delivery I received 2 Dettol surface spray cleaners instead. If Armageddon arrives, I'll be the one who is fully loaded with anti-bac cleanser. You'll see me wandering about like a gun slinger, a spray in each hand.

:D

Ha! Again! :D

Needed a laugh, who'd a thought wee could be the subject?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

emz_33

Oct 25, 2014
Hi

I have this problem with my mum I use white vinegar to get rid of stains and zolfola small drop in the wash its antibacterial too which helps. I also find using a cup full of softener too and it tends to work well.

Emz_33