Getting rid of urine smells

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
Mum is in hospital, urine incontinent, whilst I was ironing her clean nighties I still got a 'whiff', they had been washed at 40degrees, threw them back in the machine and washed them again at 50. Is washing enough or should I be soaking them first ie like nappies? And, if so, what in? TIA, xx

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Are you using a biological washing powder? We wash "wet" bedding and clothes on a 40 degree wash with that and I haven't smelt any urine wafts after that.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Biological should do it. I have to use a non bio for sensitive skin so before they go into washing machine I give things a soak in a bucket with a few drops of tea tree oil.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Hi opaline, I had this problem with Mum's stuff too and often I didn't realise it till I was ironing something and I'd suddenly think "what's that smell.....oh...:(" but I found the new laundry liquid by Dettol very good - it claims to remove 99.9% of germs even at 30 degrees - can't guarantee that but I do know it left everything smelling lovely and clean so I figured that was a result. It is hard because you can't wash a lot of modern fabrics at 60 or 90 degrees and even if you can doing it time after time really takes it toll on the clothes/sheets etc. Good luck!

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
Thanks for replies, been using non-bio, one nightie been washed at 40 then again at 50 and I can still smell it, think the smell may be in my nose . . . now steeping it in Fairy handwash, can see it getting binned, for the Dettol product try Amazon, I got Flash Powermop liquid on there, x

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Another vote for the Dettol Laundry cleanser here. I did find it difficult to find though.

They do it in Wilkinson's as well if you have one of those close by and it's on special offer in Tesco's at the moment. I actually bought mine in Savers as it's cheapest in there, or was when I got it but they aren't everywhere so not an option for all. They do a few different fragrances or an un-fragranced one if you want to have it still smell like your usual conditioner. As I've said I can't guarantee it does what it claims to but I used bio powder and pre soak and all that and for me it was the one thing that really seemed to make a significant difference to how things smelled when they came out of the washing machine.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Thanks for replies, been using non-bio, one nightie been washed at 40 then again at 50 and I can still smell it, think the smell may be in my nose . . . now steeping it in Fairy handwash, can see it getting binned, for the Dettol product try Amazon, I got Flash Powermop liquid on there, x

yes smell gets up nose, there is many a time I come home from mums and the smell of sweat or pooh lingers in my nose, have checked car for pee marks too.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Oh yes patsy - poo especially is one of those smells that just stays in the nose..... :eek:

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
I wonder is this dettol stuff will get the b o smells out? If it's this affective with pee and poo, u bet it's good at that too! Worth a try.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
found this on another site excuse Americanisms but bicarbonate of soda

How to Remove Human Urine Odors
1 Sprinkle baking soda gently over the area where the accident occurred. Let the baking soda set for a couple of minutes.
2 Spray water from a water bottle over the spot and baking soda.
3 Use a cloth to rub the water and baking soda mixture into the spot. Make sure that you run the mixture into the spot well so that you see no baking soda. Also, make sure that the spot is mostly dry before continuing.
4 Pour distilled white vinegar over the spot. Blot heavily with the cloth or paper towels until the spot is dry. Rinse the spot once again with water. Don't spray any odor-eliminating chemical over the spot while it dries. It will smell vinegar for a few hours, but the smell should be eliminated.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
How much time do they think we have on our hands? If the urine is on anything that can't be put in the washing machine, I simply spray it with Wee Away. Have bought that Dettol Cleanser and added to a wash I have just put on so let's see. OH has already wet through two pairs of jeans today.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
No, please don't think I was having a go at you! I was just perplexed at the elaborate instructions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife