Getting Respite

gettingthere

Jan 25, 2006
Edinburgh
Hi There
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to deal with putting Dad into respite. We have been given some respite care which will start on Monday and I am anxious that Dad will cause a commotion. He did have a chance to go into respite care in January but he was not on any medication. My brother and I thought we were doing the right thing by I sorting out his room and having lunch with him in the dining room, once we had left he began to become a bit agitated. My bother returned to the home with my dads razor and apparently after he had gone my dad just went berserk...... to cut a long story short we had to go and collect him as the staff thought he was going to have a heart attack!!

Any suggestions on how we should handle it this time would be welcome. Dad is now on Dozic (Haleperodol) and so is a bit calmer.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
For me I had to do a lot of resurging to mum that she was coming, home .I told her that I was getting down & needed a break,.she did go on , on & how my teenagers could look after her ,like they had done once in the past .

May sound hard, but I filmily told her that I did not get a break I would not be able to look after her. Are you your dad main carer? As you said you had a brother ?

gettingthere

Jan 25, 2006
Edinburgh
Thanks Margarita
I share dads care with my brother. My dad lives in Glasgow as does my brother. So we take it turn about. I have another two brothers and a sister but they live in England and abroad.
My dad thinks that we should all be living in the same house and seems to always want more and to be 'entertained' or kept busy from one moment to the next.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27