Getting out and about with dementia

cwaddell1

Feb 23, 2017
Hi all,

For a long time now I've been indirectly affected by dementia (both grandparents), and have decided to conduct research to see discover a variety of ways in which I can help. What I have discovered is that people suffering with dementia often struggle to get out and about - i.e. keeping fit and healthy becomes much much harder, which is frustrating since I've read on numerous occasions that regular exercise can help decrease the risks of dementia.

I was wondering if anyone currently suffering from dementia, or knows someone suffering from dementia could talk me through a variety of things such as the different physical activities they do (such as walking, dog walking, anything). Also, I'd like to find out if people suffering/know someone suffering from dementia would like to see an increased range of services that encourages families or friends to get together in an environment where they feel comfortable, and perhaps participating in light, physical activities.

Any suggestions would be widely appreciated, thanks :).

Note: this research is for my project at university

Last edited:

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I have been on a weight watchers diet lost 6 stone and I now go on walks and I have joined the gym and go to aqua aerobics
I take my camera and phone with me on walks I use the satnav if I get lost
Hope this helps a bit Sarah

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My mum was on gym for more than 10 years when diagnosed. She was kept on 3 days a week gym at CH, was added physiotherapy on others days, when she died on stage 7-d she had physical activity 6 days a week. (Gym and physiotherapy).

What I noticed:
On ch early days gym was a place she knew, a career walked with her to gym, it was something of her old life.
She was more steady than others residents.
The last huge smile I saw on mum's was waking up and looking at a gym instructor (she died on the same week)

However. I am tired of listening that gym, diet, crossword, prevent dementia.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

cwaddell1

Feb 23, 2017
I have been on a weight watchers diet lost 6 stone and I now go on walks and I have joined the gym and go to aqua aerobics
I take my camera and phone with me on walks I use the satnav if I get lost
Hope this helps a bit Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thanks a lot for your insight :) and congrats on losing 6 stone! A satnav is a great idea, something that I had never thought of! There are still a lot of people out there who don't own a satnav, or people with bad eyesight/hearing who might not feel as comfortable using one. I was wondering if there are things you do from home that keep you active such as gardening, home workouts, cooking etc.

I've seen a variety of fitness DVDs online specifically aimed at people with dementia, which I feel could be of use to those who aren't as comfortable getting out and about. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks, Charlie