Getting my mother to drink

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Mum is back in her care home recovering from a pulmonary embolism. When she went to hospital she was on two saline drips because she was dehydrated. Now she's drinking for herself, and the care home staff are trying to 'push fluid', but it's very variable.

Yesterday Mum was in a 'mood' and her dementia was a lot worse. She started digging her heels in and not wanting to drink, whether urged by me or by the carers.

I have read that this is common, and also that there comes a point when the person with dementia refuses to drink. Yesterday a friend was telling me that a mutual friend's wife who had dementia had died (fairly quickly) because she stopped drinking.

This didn't cheer me up, as the friend who told me seemed to think, almost, that it was the solution. But I think we haven't got to this stage yet, and it upset me that she was so insensitive.

I would be very interested in hearing of other people's experience with this problem. I am learning more about dementia all the time.

Thank you very much for any replies.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know much about getting people to drink but if she is still eating, could you try and give her lots of food with high water content like melon and cucumber etc? Is she refusing soup as well?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Jelly is another 'food' with high water content.

Most fruit is considered high water content, so seasonal strawberries and raspberries might tempt her.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My Mum is prone to UTI's in warmer months plus her immune system is compromised. Mums had 2 UTIs in past 3 mnths in her care home. Shes not refusing to drink, but sips at a drink ever so slowly and once a hot drink goes cold she wont touch it. She needs a lot of prompting too.
Mums care home encourage her with hot & cold drinks, smoothies, iceblocks, they try different cups & glasses, mandarins and oranges for the juice. Ive even taken up peach flavoured rehydration drinks and told her that they are from my daughter and she thought mum would like them. Mum was happy at that and drank a whole glass but wouldnt touch it the next day. It was too sweet she said.

She does have a noticeable tounge & mouth tremor when she drinks , not enough to dribble or spill but I do wonder if thats part of it? surprisingly when I took her out for lunch the otherweek she wanted lemonade. I got her a straw and her tremor wasnt as noticeable.

spbeagle

Oct 20, 2016
My Mum is in a care home and was refusing tea, coffee, fruit juice and squash most of the time. I found that the hot drinks were just too hot for her and the squash didn't taste very pleasant. However, when I bought milkshakes for her she loved them. They are in the chilled section of the supermarkets and come in a variety of flavours. If the home haven't tried milkshakes with your mother it might be worth trying them out.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Thank you for all these replies.

My mother does like soup, so that's one good thing.

Milk shakes are a terrific idea, also drinks-with-straws, and watery fruits like melon.
The trouble is, when Mum is feeling obstinate, she seems to take pleasure in refusal, but these are all worth a try.

Thank you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Marcelle

Is your mother capable of feeding herself? If so could some melon or jelly or suchlike be left within reach on a table by her side. If she is being stubborn she could be enjoying the attention but if she was left to her own devices she just might help herself.

spbeagle

Oct 20, 2016
If you have a nearby supermarket with the name beginning with T, they have milkshakes on offer at half price until 4 July. The name of the milkshake begins with F and my Mum likes the banana, strawberry and chocolate flavours.