Getting my mother out and about

LeahDarm

Mar 2, 2021
My mother has started to say she can't walk anywhere, we aren't sure whether this is her way of trying to not get out and slowly become more reclused or it is genuine. We have spoken to her about getting her a mobility scooter, she says if we do she will come out.

However, the scooters are not very cheap and we really don't have an idea of which to get. Does anyone have experience in this situation and can recommend a course of action? Also, can anyone recommend a company for cheap scooters? We're currently looking at the Kymco Maxer and we have also found a company called Keep Moving Care offering a cheap model, does anyone have experience with them?

Really appreciate everyone's advice, thanks!

LeahDarm

Mar 2, 2021
@Jaded'n'faded that's a good idea! Though I'm sure she will say she doesn't want to leave the house to try one.. I will see if I can find a close company who would perhaps be able to deliver a couple.

Wow, I never even though of that @nellbelles was kind of tunnel visioning on what scooter to pick. I will look into it, I wouldn't want to breach the trust with my mum so I hope she goes along with it :)

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome from me too @LeahDarm you'll find lots of friendly support and advice here. I agree with the two previous posters, especially as you don't know the cause of your mother's reluctance to walk. An occupational therapy assessment will establish what your mother needs in respect of any mobility problems and if a mobility scooter is recommended then there are companies that hire/lease these so that you can see how your mother is on a scooter without paying a lot of money for something that she won't use or hasn't been recommended for her. I hope that you can find a solution that works for your mum.

The occupational therapist will usually make home visits, and there may be a bit of a wait to see one but this varies from area to area. If it will help to remove your mother's view that you have somehow 'breached her trust' maybe try saying something like it's a free service that's being offered to everyone to see if they are entitled to any free equipment if you think it would help. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Prior to Covid I think you could hire them out at shopping centres ( mall style ones).
If you have the ability to do this near you it may be worth waiting a couple of months for things to open up.
Also do be aware of hostess syndrome, where with the salesman, they say ‘ I love it and will use it all the time’, and when it is at home and it is you, then the story changes!
Also if you determine what you want, don’t forget the ability to buy one very cheaply from eBay or gumtree.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi at @LeahDarm , there seem to be a couple of things going on. Maybe your mum is finding walking more difficult and doesn't want to go out as it wears her out, or it could be because she finds being outside too confusing. People with dementia find learning new things tricky, so a mobility scooter might be a bit much, specially if she didn't drive, or use a bike. She may have lost her road sense and ability to use anything new.
Do you have access to a car? My mother in law used to enjoy just going for a drive round, and pre-covid maybe to a pub for a drink. Last summer we drove round various garden centres near her as I needed a new strawberry pot. While I was out searching for one, my husband and his mum listened to radio 3 and took in the view. I think she enjoyed herself even though she didn't actually get out out. Things have progressed and her mobility and incontinence are such problems that, even if things were open, I no longer think it's a good idea.
I think the suggestions about trying one out are a really good idea. I know my brother in law and his wife got one for her mother that she insisted she wanted, but in the end never used. Keep posting there's always people with good suggestions and ideas here.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I have just returned from Tesco’s and they had four there for people to use.
Not as posh as you have in mind but might be a place to start?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
@LeahDarm - you may find that your mum is unable to use a mobility scooter. They are not easy things to manoeuvre and you have to concentrate on controlling speed and steering as well as being aware of what is going on around you.

In my area, a few years ago, there was a notorious case of a lady with dementia on a mobility scooter who lost control of it, knocked down an elderly person on the pavement and then reversed back over them. She was entirely unable to understand what she done wrong.

Im really not convinced that dementia and mobility scooters go together very well.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan