Getting help

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Things are getting worse dad up at 4am every day so I get up give him his tablets then he starts to worry about everything then so no chance I go back to sleep. When I am at work which is getting less each month due to 111 calls hospital visits and district nurses not turning up on time. Don't know I Can cope on my own. Over the xmas period I seeing my mum less now as dad needs help my health is getting worse but he struggling with dates nsmes times and has no understanding of money dad under the stroke service should I tell them as I running on empty half the time now thanks

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
You obviously need some help and support so if you haven't already done so contact social services for a care needs assessment for your Dad and a carers assessment for yourself. They will assess what help you and your Dad need. If your Dad is self-funding and able to pay for his own care then you can go ahead and arrange this yourself without waiting for a social services assessment. You could ask the GP to make a referral for you and this might speed things up a bit. Details of the assessment process are in this fact sheet: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/dementia-care-needs-assessment

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi Jelba
It really sounds like you're close to breaking point and you need to take Louise's advice about getting an assessment and some support in place to help with your dad's care. It's too much for you to do by yourself so please approach SS to hopefully get some help before things close down for Christmas.